• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

strut rod differences

Dne'

I've got my suspension installed except for my strut rods. I had bought some used struts and went to put them in, but holes in my new lower control arms are 1-3/8" apart, and the strut rods are 1-5/8" where they bolt up to the lower control arm. I have 71 model spindles. Am I going to run into a problem with the steering stops as well? What control arms should I be using?
As always~ thank you! :bow
dne'

no no, I'm not using those bizarre things! lol I bought some regular struts a little while back. I'll have a bunch of stuff to put on ebay in a few months. I was talking to laurel mountain about the nicer adjustable struts, but he told me that they make translate alot of the road noise to the frame since they're not rubber mounted? I was thinking about the stuts at Mustang mania~ Russel has or had some for about 298.oo. But his didn't have steering stops built into them and that kind of turned me off, but with out investigating them.

67's have a one year only strut rod. I dont know why. If your LCA's are from the 71, you might be able to use later strut rods. I have a 67 and a 68 and the two are different, I have Granada spindles on my 67 and haven't had any issues but I used new 67 LCA's. My 67 strut rods are straight and the 68's are "bent" where they attacth to the LCA's. Also the body ends are different. The 68's have castle nuts with cotter pins and the 67 doesn't.

Darn, I wish I had my camera here! The struts I have are the bent type(where they attach to the LCA(they're definitely not straight). So, which way do I go? Buy (again) new LCA's for a '68 to put on my '67? back to ebay I guess.

These are 67 strut rods and LCA's
72_07_02_09_5_58_24.jpg

"Sportbikechick" said:
Darn, I wish I had my camera here! The struts I have are the bent type(where they attach to the LCA(they're definitely not straight). So, which way do I go? Buy (again) new LCA's for a '68 to put on my '67? back to ebay I guess.

What happened to the ones that came off the car?

Thank you for that photo tarafied! So, that's what they look like! :hmm As to what happened to the one' that were on my car? One was bent and the other was rusted really badly, and at that time, I just knew I'd be getting new ones, used one's whatever. I've been looking on ebay, and I can get new LCA's('68 and up) for about 100 bucks. However, there isn't an abundance of '67 LCA's! Looks like that's what I'm going to do~ buy LCA's to remedy this problem. Does that sound reasonable?

Yeah, probably. The 67 one year only stuff is more expensive too. They do make repop 67 strut rods if you don't want to take off the LCA's.

Closure

Just wanted to bring this topic to an end. I bought '68 LCA's to use with the '68+ strut rods. The lesson learned here is buying "67" strut rods off of ebay were not from a '67. I guess not everyone selling knows there's a difference and ones buying don't either the majority of the time either :hmm. '67 had its own strut rod apparently. I am an experience strut rod person now! So, nothing here, move on! :pbj
:bow again, thanks for the help everyone!
dne'
IMG_7787-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back