• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Styled Steel Wheel Questions

Beerhunter528

I have a 66 Vert
First Question is It wrong that I want to put the 65 version of the styled steel wheels, instead of the 66 version with trim rings? For some reason I like the look of the 65 wheel better. The 66 version the trim ring makes the inner wheel part look smaller, plus seems it would be a pain cleaning under the trim rings.

Second question is what is the biggest size rim can I put on without having to modify anything. Probably going to stick to the factory 14x5 size but just curious.

Thanks all.

If you are buying new, I would stick with the ‘65 wheels unless you trying to stay completely original with the car. The main reason, is unless you can find some really nice OEM trim rings, you will be stuck with reproductions. I have read countless threads about the repro trim rings being of horrible quality and they will spin on the rim.

I assume your second question is related to tire size...if so you will want to stay with a 215/70-14. This will be right at 26” diameter. A 225 might rub in the front depending on suspension and alignment.

Patrick is dead on to point out concern with front tire clearance. A 215 with a diameter around 26" is safe but fills the hole nicely. Out back you can typically run a 225 without much worry. I suggest pulling off both back wheels and taking some measurements to make sure everything is equal on both sides in a few points. I've had a couple cars where wheel space might be as much as 1/4" different. The lower front inner wheel tub angles out narrowing the space. Larger diameter tires will need to be narrower.

I also read about those reproduction trim rings being a pain in the arse. Thanks all for the help. I think I will be going with the 65 version of the wheels.

Back