• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Summit Lecara Steering - Horn No Workie!

Coleman

I bought a Summit Lecara steering wheel, part # LAC-34215. Steering column is a FORD IDIDIT. The horn button is single wire and the FORD horn needs two wires. The original steering wheel/horn ring worked fine, but now no workie. Anybody else using this type steering wheel?

I have no experence with this wheel or its button, but :)

The stock button had +12v going into it and when pressed it sent the +12v to the horns, which are grounded. This completed the ckt and made loud noises. As yours has one wire, I would guess when pressed it is connecting that wire to ground. If you connect the +12v to the horn it should blow the fuse. One way to work around this is install a relay.

Relay should be a normaly open contact (NO)

+12v to relay +
Horn wire to relay -
+12v to switched relay contact
Other relay contact to horns

Now when you press the horn button it complets the relay ckt and energizes the relay. THis will close the contacts, sending 12v to your horns.

Here is a diagram I found on a quick web search http://ocw.weber.edu/automotive-technology/ausv-1320-automotive-electronics/images/horncircuit

Hope this helps..GL

I have a similar (moto lita) wheel/button. On my button, I attached the (+) hot lead to the button; then, attach the (-) ground lead to the wheel-2-column adapter. To attached the (-) ground lead, I drilled and tapped a very small hole (~1/8"), and held the (-) ground wire down with a small screw.

Back