• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

SW water temp gauge cable repair?

Jonk67

I want to seal the crack up at the end of this water line where it meets the bourdon tube, it looks like the line just cracked on the outer plastic sleeving from bending too sharp. Gauge has been tested and works correctly.
IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

The largest part of the bourdon tube is ~1/2" and the plastic sleeve is ~1/4", would 1/2" shrink tube seal down on the 1/4" part also or is that too far for it to shrink?
I'm really just looking to give it some support and strength/protection. Is there something better I can use? I tried electrical tape but it looks awful and gives no support, I know it would eventually unravel anyway.
Jon

Polyolefin shrink tubing usually has a 2:1 shrink rate so it would probably do what you need. Sounds like a good fix to me.

I used some heat shrink tubing that had a 3:1 shrinkage rate with an adhesive in it to help seal the connection.

Thanks guys, I didn't realize shrink tubing came in different ratios. Best parts house to find it local? NAPA, O'Reilly's, Advanced?
Jon

Back