• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T5 with 2.95 first...what rears are you running?

I've learned much about these T5s. I'm late to the game, I suppose. What rear gears are you running with a 2.95 First? I've heard 3.55 is pretty well balanced, while some have gone deeper to 3.80 in the rear. Much of my drive anywhere would require at least 15-20mins on the hwy, so I'm looking for something that can do both. I found a place to get a rebuilt T5 with 2.95 first for $1250

All depends on the engine torque band when choosing rear end ratios.
I have a mild 351-4V with a T5z trans and 3.55 truetrac rear end.
I am happy with that.

My T-5 also has the 2.95:1 first gear and I have 3.91:1 gears in the axle. Im a little concerned that first gear will be useless but Im going to drive it before I make any changes.

I'm running 3:89 gears with my t5z. I absolutely love it. With the 331, the acceleration is awesome but still has nice manners on the highway.

-Shannon

Ok, so....would you rather...? Used/rebuilt T-5 World Class for $1250.00 from a local manual trans shop and I can check and maybe pick the 2.95 first gear, but it's a rebuild nonetheless. OR a NEW Ford Racing T5z M-7003-Z for $1734.00 from a local dealer?

Behind a big cube 302? I'd go with the Ford Racing T5. What's your estimated horsepower ?

Nothing too crazy: crate late model (86-93) short block, GT40P iron heads, 1.7rockers, E303, AirGap RPM, 625 Road Demon, tri-y long tube headers and x-pipe. It's fun, no doubt, but with the C4 and 2.79 rears, it's not exactly earth shattering. I've been told HP numbers in the 350 range on the high end to 280 on the low end.

I'd be surprised if you see 350. I think 280 to 300 is realistic with those heads. A t5 would probably suit your needs but if spending the money a z is the better setup.

I'd be surprised if you see 350. I think 280 to 300 is realistic with those heads. A t5 would probably suit your needs but if spending the money a z is the better setup.

I agree, he should have around 300 hp with that combo

Nothing too crazy: crate late model (86-93) short block, GT40P iron heads, 1.7rockers, E303, AirGap RPM, 625 Road Demon, tri-y long tube headers and x-pipe. It's fun, no doubt, but with the C4 and 2.79 rears, it's not exactly earth shattering. I've been told HP numbers in the 350 range on the high end to 280 on the low end.

Everything Ive read supports a rebuilt T-5 being able to handle 300 hp. Assuming youre not racing. I just like the idea of trouble-free. i.e. If enough is good, more is better and too much is just right.

I have the exact same engine combo,never dynoed but is a nice combo,plenty of power. Last winter I did a t5 swap that made such a difference on the driving experience. This winter I am installing a 3:55 trac loc, I think that will be a perfect combo for the street

I'm running a 3:80 TruTrac in my 9" behind a built T5 with a 2.95 first gear. No issue at any speed. Lots of highway miles north of 70. Have made a few quick runs up to triple digits as well. :D

Back