• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tape, what kind are you using

abrahamfh

I have always used the famous blue roll since the very first day I rolled Fred home.

I recently went down to HD and noticed a much larger selection of tape. What kind of tape are you guys using(non paint applications)?

Duct tape fixes anything with a leak. Frog tape for painting around the house. Blue tape for anything I don't want tape to stick on.

reg tan 3M masking tape for light stuff, gorilla tape for heavy duty apps. if you havent tried it, gorilla tape is like duct tape on steroids....

Tape, what kind are you using

I have seen the gorilla glue, crazy stuff.

I was reading up on that frog tape and it seems pretty neat but I don't see where it's all that much better than the good ol scotch blue tape except for it coming in a plastic container and it costing about 2-3 dollars more.

My company makes "blue" and "Frog" tape. I can tell you all tapes are not equal. We make a lot of blue tapes. The main differences are about (aside from width and length) thickness of the crepe paper backing and the adhesive type and weight (amount). Different applications require various tensile strengths and adhesion. Temperature plays a major roll in adhesive selection. The big difference with blue vs. regular tan masking tape is that the blue's adhesives are designed to offer a very clean release.

Frog tape is dramatically different that regular blue painters tape. There is something special in the adhesive layer that causes paint to, for lack of a better word, coagulate when it comes in contact. Even on the finest of crepe papers, you get some "creep" of paint along the edge. With the Frog tape technology, you get as close to a perfect line as possible.

All duct tapes are not equal. Like the other tapes, the substrates and adhesive make or break a good tape. The Gorilla type tapes, aside form very thick and high end material backing, have a very strong adhesive and it is applied quite liberally. The cheap ones use low quality cloth and poly backers and minimal adhesive. We've all bought a cheap roll and found out the hard way why the price was so low, right?

Re: Tape, what kind are you using

I use 3m stuff. Blue, green, yellow, and fine line. The yellow is fairly comparable to green but cheaper.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Re: Tape, what kind are you using

"Sluggo" said:
I use 3m stuff. Blue, green, yellow, and fine line. The yellow is fairly comparable to green but cheaper.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

you have any trouble yet with the new purple fineline? i've had a few issues with it & recently switched to another brand (can't think of the name but it's orange). seems to work well so far....

Back