• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Testing equipment

DougG69

Can anyone recommend good entry-level (read: cheap) testing equipment for our cars' wiring systems?

I am a total neophyte when it comes to wiring - as I will now demonstrate with the following question: can an under-dash harness be tested while it's out of the car?

Thanks in advance

A good digital volt-ohm-meter is essential for electrical trouble-shooting.

Can a complete underdash harness be tested outside of the car? That is not a neophyte question at all! The answer is yes, but it would be quite involved to do so. You'll need a battery, all of the ignition switch installed to get to ACC power lines, and then everything else installed! What I do to test a harness is to wring out every wire for continuity, and it takes me anywhere from 3 to 6 hours, depending upon the problems I find. Once that is done, I can eliminate the harness from the picture and focus upon what connects to it for further trouble-shooting.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very helpful info.

"Midlife" said:
A good digital volt-ohm-meter is essential for electrical trouble-shooting.

Are they all pretty much the same, or is there a particular brand/model you recommend (or one that I should avoid)?

"Midlife" said:
You'll need a battery, all of the ignition switch installed to get to ACC power lines, and then everything else installed! What I do to test a harness is to wring out every wire for continuity, and it takes me anywhere from 3 to 6 hours, depending upon the problems I find.

So let me make sure I understand how this works: I send you my harness along with a check for $175? lol. Just kidding. I think. I'm planning on pulling my lower dash to paint it once the car gets home anyway... sounds like the perfect time to go through the wiring harness. I may even get fancy & pre-wire for a modern stereo and/or power windows.

DVM's range from about $40 (Sears) to $400 (Fluke). I have two right now, and am contemplating getting yet another[nb]Can't have too many tools![/nb]. Go to a fairly good electrical supply store near you and look at BK brand for mid-priced models; Lowes and HD have mid-priced models and brands. Yeah, they all pretty much do the same thing, but I recommend at least 10 amps DC Volts. Most models vary by their reliability and durability, along with probe types.

The best analog meter is made by Simpson, and the better (costlier) models are very good indeed! These are the only meters that can read the Instrument Voltage Regulator with accuracy.

Fluke makes the best, but they are quite pricey. My current Fluke, Model 75, was purchased in 1980, and still going strong!

Midlife,

You mentioned BK, would this be decent? BK Precision 114B

I see what you mean about the Fluke brand. After a bit of googling, it looks like a professional grade product line - with the price tag to match. Probably worth it if it's something you use all the time.

Fast68back: good tip on the pawn shop angle.

P.S. - I did a little searching on eBay as well. Found a Simpson 360-2, but they were asking $200 (which of course I am too tight to pay). Here's some info from the listing: (LINK)

Simpson 360-2 Digital Volt-Ohm-Millam​meter AC DC
My Listing includes the following:
*SIMPSON OHM UNIT
*ORIGINAL BOX
*OPERATIN MANUAL
*TESTE LEADS
*9VDC WALL PLUG CHARGER

I can't say too much about the 'operatin manual' because we here in Indiana aren't always so kind to the King's English ourselves, but I'm pretty sure I don't want anything to do with any 'teste leads'!

Mid-

So you like the autoranging meters? One of my three are autoranging, and I try not to use it - too annoying. The jumping up & down ranges as you check points is a PITA, IMO. Although, it is a cheap Sperry I bought for the boat toolbox, so that may have something to do with it.

Most autoranging DVM's can be turned off to a particular range.

Take a look at some of their other products at varying prices. I've not used B&K, but I have examined them closely at a local store and they look very good for the price.

Back