• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Testing out Mequiars products

Kats66Pny

Trying to find a good product that will give Gertrude back some shine. I decided to try ColorX after seeing a post about it on Mequiars forums.. some ugly orangey looking truck turned red again..and if it could do that, then surely it should help poor Gertrudes dull red paint job!

I tested it on a fender.
Washed it really good first with Armor Car Wash stuff, then applied ColorX (by hand) followed by some Mequiars Ultimate Wax (hubby had some that he uses on his car).
I'll have to try and get better pictures. I'm going to do the hood next. :vic

Before
beforexm.jpg

After
afterx.jpg

Hard to tell in the pictures, but it did a decent job. I might have gotten better results if I had a buffer, but even doing it by hand it came out ok.
It even looked pretty decent just with ColorX alone. The paint also feels smoother now.

I may have to experiement more. Maybe start with a clay bar, followed by colorx, and then some ultimate compound or NXT.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fun!!

I did the drivers side with colorx & wax spray

hoodtest.jpg

SHIIIINEY!!! :craz :lol

On the shiney side, orange peel is noticable. Very noticable. I'm starting to think maybe I should try wet sanding a spot just to see if it results come out better.
Oh and the buffed area, you can see specks of pearl. It's not flat red paint. :eek

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol I had to take it off.. but it's going back on when I'm done!

Half way there. Got the entire drivers side all shiney and pretty. :vic

Back