• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

That came back to bite me in the butt.

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
We have a 2002 F150 that was bought new from a local Ford Dealer. So after 10 years and 80k miles I replaced the tires because of age and cracks in the sidewall. I also found a better set of factory rims, same size but cast aluminum instead of the ugly chrome rims. I upped the size from 235 70R 16 to 265 75R 16. No more changing gears, had to be done with a programmer. Found a local business, speedo guy, tuner, and such. Dialed it in just right. Fast forward to now. Time for smog check. In california they do not worry about vehicle condition, but they do worry about what comes out of your tailpipe. Go to the guy I have been using for a few years now and his business is boarded with plywood. OK start driving home and stop at the first smog check place I see. His bay is empty so he gets me in quick only to come and get me to show what is on the computer screen. I have to go to a referee station. So I look at the back of my registration and it says nothing about that, just to go to a test and repair station. Same result, this time I take a picture of the phone number. On hold forever and when I do get a human they say I have been randomly flagged for this check. Now I get an appointment for a phone call 2 weeks later (today). Minutes before the scheduled call at 0810 I got an email:

Your vehicle was found to have incorrect programming , and must be reprogrammed back to manufacturer specifications (stock). Prior to being allowed to schedule onsite referee appointment, you must provide copy/picture of an invoice from a repair shop or dealer showing that the engine control module in your vehicle has been programmed back to manufacturer specifications (stock) . The invoice must state that the engine control module was reprogrammed.You must also provide a copy/picture of your vehicle registration or registration renewal notice, and proof that the required monitors are ready with no diagnostic trouble codes with either a picture of a monitor print out or a picture of the results on a scan tool. Once you have completed and obtained all these requirements, please reply to this email and you will be notified when you could proceed with the scheduling process for a regular referee appointment.

So basically he tells me the same thing as the email with a little more detail. Seems that the catalytic converter is not being seen or something. My guess is that the speedo dude turned stuff off when programming the speedo. No longer in business, or any local speedo shops able to correct. So Ford it will have to be. Service writer was like Whoa, you need to talk to my manager. He was not in yet, left a voicemail. But I will call back soon. My 1993 Ranger was easy, simple gear change.
I am hoping that this is easy and not too expensive, just time consuming is all. Why because the tires looked too small in the wheelwells.
Scheduling an appointment at my local Ford dealer for next week.

fd

Thats super lame. I hated having to get my vehicles inspected every year. Safety inspections are fine, but emissions are ridiculous

What's really lame about emissions testing (at least in IL) is that they only test the newer rides. If your car is old not required. Sure. Makes perfect sense. Only test the vehicles which have all the tech to minimize pollutants and let all the old road foggers get a free pass.

Good ol' California where everything is dynoed. Here in Georgia they don't even sniff the pipe- just plug in to the computer (at least on my 01, 10 and 18). The 69 is exempt (even in California).

The law has changed somewhat in California. While everything newer than 1976 has to have biannual smog checks, cars 2000 and newer no longer have to be run on the dyno. They tie into the computer and as long as there are no codes, you are good to go. Now, if you just cleared some codes recently then you have to put a minimum number of miles on it before it will show a valid test. It could take several weeks of driving before you can retest.

Same here. Plug into it and as long as no codes recently, etc. that's it...provided the data it reads meets requirements. A few years back I took the boys pick-up in and shit you not on the way there the check engine light popped on and then off not long after. It was enough to have them reject the truck for testing. To meet the required mileage after the code I had to drive it around a lot for the next week plus as I recall doing nothing more than burning gas to meet their demand. Pissed me off to have to do all that and then go all the way back again for the test. I hate government BS

and do not change your battery or even disconnect it within a couple weeks before you smog it. That is enough for the computer to reject the test!

Feel bad for you guys. I don't have inspections or emissions tests. As long as it's got a license plate, no one cares.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

yeah what's with all this crap?

Hemmings published a a couple pics some time ago of a 1960s something surfer dude and his cool car on a street in LA. Cool pic. In color but not HD quality that we know now. The sky anywhere above the local rooftops is just grey....nothing else. a blue sky.

Same pic today. Same location. My god there's a mountains raising up behind those rooftops! And there's snow on top of them.

Yeah all this stuff we have do deal with. Hell with it. cough, cough.

I think the point of this rambling discussion is more about the difficulties of dealing with the emission laws not the reasons for them. I referenced the backward thinking of making new car testing mandatory but not requiring it of older cars that are much more likely to be out of tune or having failed emissions components that are pumping out 1000x the nasty stuff, for instance.

Moving forward. Went to my local Ford stealer service department. They corrected the programming. Sent email to the referee with a copy of the service ticket and work performed. Nope not good enough, wants to see pictures, readout of the programmer. Went back and while waiting in the waiting room the service writer came and got me. The tech had his laptop hooked up to my F150. Took screenshot pictures with my iPhoney showing error codes for the battery, and seat belts. Nothing about the catalytic converter. Emailed him back again with the screenshot pics. Said I was good to call and schedule my appointment at the referee center. Next stop Cucamonga on the 13th at Chaffey college. I have waited until the last minute to get a smog check done, glad that I did not this time. I have until the 31st of this month to pay the goobinor for my tags. 18 year old F150 will cost 234 dollars for 2021 tags.

fd

Moving forward. Went to my local Ford stealer service department. They corrected the programming. Sent email to the referee with a copy of the service ticket and work performed. Nope not good enough, wants to see pictures, readout of the programmer. Went back and while waiting in the waiting room the service writer came and got me. The tech had his laptop hooked up to my F150. Took screenshot pictures with my iPhoney showing error codes for the battery, and seat belts. Nothing about the catalytic converter. Emailed him back again with the screenshot pics. Said I was good to call and schedule my appointment at the referee center. Next stop Cucamonga on the 13th at Chaffey college. I have waited until the last minute to get a smog check done, glad that I did not this time. I have until the 31st of this month to pay the goobinor for my tags. 18 year old F150 will cost 234 dollars for 2021 tags.

fd
Yikes. No smog check here. Also my 18 Shelby is less to register than your F150. I might pay $500 a year for all four cars.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yikes. No smog check here. Also my 18 Shelby is less to register than your F150. I might pay $500 a year for all four cars.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
So why even consider moving back to cal a steal from ya?

fd

Back