• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The devil came for me yesterday....

daveSanborn

....but missed me by about 75 yards.

So on Thursday afternoon I'm puttering around in the shop for a few minutes while waiting for a 6PM dinner date.

My wife remembers where the shop is and comes to pay me a visit... to inform me that one of the neighbors stopped by to tell us there is a "hole" along our property/fence line. I shrugged the news off and kept puttering under the dash of the '66. My wife comes back a few minutes later to report on this "hole". I asked her exactly how big it was.... she told me "bigger than your car". Fully capturing my attention, I ceased puttering and investigated the "hole". When I walked around the back corner of the property and saw the hole I couldn't believe it.

It looks like something out of Carlsbad Caverns..... holy crap this hole is big. After talking with the property owner next door, apparently there was a broken underground water line on the property for almost the last year. They recently found the leak and fixed it. We had a pretty heavy rain on Wednesday night that must have weakened the underground cavity and I suppose it collapsed sometime on Thursday. Where the heck did all the soil go?

I took some pictures, but they don't do the hole any justice. The hole is a LOT bigger than the picture suggests as the picture just shows the "top" of the hole where the soil collapsed downward. I was walking very gingerly around the edges of the hole as it angled downwardds for quite a ways.

I'll probably have to temporarily remove a section of my fence so that the guy next door can fix this. One more thing to do this weekend.

001-17.jpg

003-14.jpg

002-18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you have someplace to hide the bodies, better hurry beofre they fill it in.....

Funny.... on the way to dinner last night our 14 yr old daughter asked what would happen if her chihuahua fell into the hole.... I told her it would be okay as I'd throw her and her sister in after the dog.

Has anyone else dealt with a 14 year old daughter lately? I'm about one mood swing away from locking her in the closet.

Back