• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The garage just got a little more crowded.....

daveSanborn

The shipping company just called. Delivery is scheduled for 11AM. The shop/garage is getting to the point that cars/bikes need to be moved outside in order to work on anything. Fortunately, the beer fridge is positioned such that I can always get to it.

We're considering 3 options.

1. Blow out the back wall of the shop and add another 12-15' to the depth of the building. (not my personal favorite)

2. Build an additional, new garage/storage building.

3. Rent a large storage space for all of my sons "toys" that are crowding my man cave. (my personal favorite)

Sons latest acquisition....

Nice looking ride.

I would let HIM rent the space or build the extra space for HIS toys. Gotta learn someday. But, then again, you won't ride that bike at all either. lol I know you will be out doing it the old fashion way.....

I would let HIM rent the space or build the extra space for HIS toys.

Oh don't worry about that, I won't be spending my money for any of those options.

The problem is..... he wants to either add onto the shop or build a new separate building. I kinda like things just the way they are. Upon his return home, he'll be staying in our guest house (and paying rent), but this will not be a permanent "home" for him. Within a year or two, he'll leave and I'll be stuck with either two garages or one very large one. Once his stuff is gone, my existing shop/garage is more than enough room for everything I need.... I suppose I could always buy a pool table and turn the back half of the garage into a bar.

I'm trying to convince him that it would be easier for him (money-wise), to just go rent a 10x20 storage unit for a year, but he wants his "toys" within arms reach while he's staying here.

I'm having same problem with garage space. I wish I could blow out a wall or two. Nice bike Dave.

I might suggest a temp. building. Buildings on skids with a ramp to the floor. That way, when he moves, he can move it with him.

"AzPete" said:
I might suggest a temp. building. Buildings on skids with a ramp to the floor. That way, when he moves, he can move it with him.

Oh...you mean a mobile home? Or an RV?

Neither, both to high to make for comfortable entry/exit with a vehicle. One of the many wood buildings on skids I have seen across the country.

Who rattled your cage anyway........... :icon_silent:

I dunno about a temp "building".... my redneck neighbor has an old schoolbus parked around the back of his house and I'm not sure how something like that would look on my property....

I think I've come up with an equitable solution for this storage situation....

Instead of adding 12-15' onto the back wall..... for the entire width of the back wall (26')... we'll just add a smaller "room" onto the back of the garage. 12'x16' should do it. This way, all of the motorcycles can be moved into this area and the main portion of the garage would revert back to just his and my FB's. Once he moves on with his life, I can pull my bikes out of the new addition and park them where his car is parked now and then I can turn the 12'x16' addition into a pool/bar area for the man-cave.

It's a lot easier for me to stick build 12' trusses than it is to order/buy/have delivered/install 26' trusses with an additional 18" overhang on each side. The existing building has 10' ceilings, but the addition can easily have 8' ceilings without it being an issue. Instead of fully opening the addition up onto the existing building, I can install a double french door sized opening to move the bikes in and out into the garage. I have made some room in the garage recently, but it's still awfully crowded. Within the last couple months I've gotten rid of an AOD and a T10, a 351C shortblock and a 5.0 longblock. I could probably re-arrange/better organize some shelves to create even more room.

The only real obstacle is going to be getting the slab cement around to the backside of the garage. The parking pad in front of the garage is 30-32' deep..... the existing garage is 28' deep.... I'm not sure if the local Redi-Mix boys can pump cement that far back. I poured the parking pad 5" thick with re-inforced concrete, but I don't know if I want a cement truck parking on it to test it. Gulp... we may have to wheelbarrow it back there..... and this is where sons 28 year old muscles will come in handy! Matter of fact, he'll be doing ALL of the manual labor. I'll have my supervisors hat on for this project. He was looking for something to do anyway besides sitting around playing with his new toys.

I was not referring to something that temp. Never would do that. They make some nice wood framed buildings on skids. Just a small ramp to get about 6" up to the floor and you are in. Then, when he left, he could actually take it to his new place if the size was kept to a car trailer size. Now, that I have done in the past.

As you said though, doing your current plan will give you a man cave for future use. Sounds like a plan. On the concrete, what is the cost for one of those trucks with the boom they use on large buildings? Worth asking.....

what is the cost for one of those trucks with the boom they use on large buildings? Worth asking.....

I dunno.... I'm thinking they have a "pumper" attachment type device that can pump the concrete through a 4" hose. Not sure though.... I'm hoping Ron (beach pony) will chime in with some options. Worse case scenario, studly son wheelbarrows it.... 60' a trip and 4 cubic yards should do it.

I knew what you meant by a building on a skid. I've helped moved a few in the past. Problem is son will probably be eventually re-locating out of state, not just down the road.

Back