• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The Nanny State strikes again

Mach1 Driver

I went to the local auto parts store and found you couldn't buy a metal can with the word GAS on the side anymore. Now they have spouts that have to be depressed before they will dispense the fuel. Some even have a sleeve that has to be turned before you can depress the spout. And they all have the kid proof anti-turn features on the lids. I don't know when this happened but I moved a while back and I couldn't see shipping empty gas cans so I threw them away. Serves me right, I should have known better than throwing away valuable antiques.
Damn Nanny State. You kids get off my lawn!

I've got one of those new ones. It flat fucking sucks. The lock sleeve is a pain in the ass, the tab you have to push to make the thing drain requires way too much effort to work, and I end up making a mess because I'm having to fight two lockout mechanisms just to fill the damned lawnmower. I've got another one with just the push lock, and I pour gas all over the push mower every time I use it.

Garage or especially estate sales are a good source for old style cans. I made the mistake of buying a new one last summer. It is long gone. Useless in my opinion.

I've got one of those new ones. It flat fucking sucks. The lock sleeve is a pain in the ass, the tab you have to push to make the thing drain requires way too much effort to work, and I end up making a mess because I'm having to fight two lockout mechanisms just to fill the damned lawnmower. I've got another one with just the push lock, and I pour gas all over the push mower every time I use it.

Its always the unintended consequences that get ya. The government gets involved and makes them add these silly features that make you spill and contaminate the area with a highly combustible liquid and then the fumes permeate you and your clothing that are just looking for an ignition source. You breathe it and get it on your skin. They couldn't frik-it up more If they wanted to...or do they???
GET OFF MY LAWN!

I must be a glutton for punishment. While stopping to gas up my truck today I also needed to get fresh gas for the lawn mower while I was there. Since I didn't have a gas can with me I decided just to buy one (the gas station is in the same parking lot as Walmart). When I took out the spout to fill the can I arrived at the WTF moment! I think I'm gonna check the cheapy cans at Harbor Freight and see if they still have any of the cans with old style spouts.

Its always the unintended consequences that get ya. The government gets involved and makes them add these silly features that make you spill and contaminate the area with a highly combustible liquid and then the fumes permeate you and your clothing that are just looking for an ignition source. You breathe it and get it on your skin. They couldn't frik-it up more If they wanted to...or do they???
GET OFF MY LAWN!
At my current job assignment we frequently get a CPSC inspector in to exam imported products. If you saw some of the "testing guidelines" they have to use you'd be asking WTF?!

The nanny state know it alls banned the otc primatine mist rescue inhalers because or what? They were depleting the ozone layer! Now there are zero otc options and I (we) must get a script and pay more.

Sent from my iPhone using Smackatalk

Reminds me of the state wide ban of otc Sudafed. Gotta have a damned prescription for it now. And that's if a dr will give it to you.

At my current job assignment we frequently get a CPSC inspector in to exam imported products. If you saw some of the "testing guidelines" they have to use you'd be asking WTF?!

Oh yeah I know about testing procedures. In my last job before retirement I was the only engineer on staff so I had to design the product, test it and put it into production. We typically used Underwriters Labs as the approval agency, although there were two others available. There was a bank of testing that would take 2-3 weeks depending on the product and I would run them all to assure we complied. Some of it was good and some made no sense at all. The agency would send out a test engineer who would complete his testing in 3-4 days and I always knew more about the testing and had to show them how to do it in some cases. It was sad really. Underwriters at one time had a large office in Santa Clara and another smaller office in Brea California. The liberal state government drove most manufacturing out of the state with their over-regulation. UL closed the Santa Clara office and reduced staff in Brea because they didn't have any business- most of the time they sent engineers over seas to perform the tests at the manufacturers sites.

The testing you saw was probably based more on some stretch of scientific investigative process than what I was referring to! Example of what I'm referring to; a battery powered toy. It had to be held out in front of the investigator and dropped on the floor. If the battery door popped open it failed. Several pieces broke off of one of the toys. I pointed them out and was told, "no, that's okay. As long as the battery door stays closed it passes". Sheesh!!

Another good example is hover boards. They have been all over the news for months about how dangerous they are. The government seizing large quantities has also been on the news. What most people don't realize, and the media fails to report is the fact they aren't being seized for safety issues! While I'm not at liberty to go into details, they are being seized for copyright infringements!

Reminds me of the state wide ban of otc Sudafed. Gotta have a damned prescription for it now. And that's if a dr will give it to you.
I know there was a national restriction on open display for sale (by the FDA IIRC). It forced pharmacies to move it behind the counter and strictly document any sales. AFAIK the scrip thing may be a state level issue. Not only was Sudafed impacted, but any otc med which contained pseudoephedrine. This was actually done to try to get a handle on the out of control growth of meth labs. Pseudoephedrine is a prime ingredient in making meth, hence the tight restrictions now.

Back