• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The Offical 2020 Dang It Award (DIA)

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Maybe this can be moved to the Events and Contest section.
20200507_195805.jpg

Must be car related blunder but Mustang ones are preferred.

Everyone post their stories and pictures help verify the story but are not required.

Everyone gets to vote at the end of the year.

Would like to see the trophy passed around or I (or someone else) might be able to make the next years award. There is a story to every piece of the trophy that I will post sometime.

Ha!! That is an awesome trophy. You should put the name of each year's winner (along with year) on the base as it gets passed around!

I have many stories for submission, ranging from mechanical errors to unfortunate events.

The first one that comes to mind is from the very very early days of owning Jane - probably about a month after I had bought her. I was still learning manual transmission and was NOT good at it, especially on any sort of incline. I pulled up to a T intersection that happened to have the eensiest weensiest littleist hill on my side. There was an SUV containing a mother and a small child in the T to my left, and someone pulled up pretty close to me behind. Well I got all freaked out that I would roll back into the guy behind me - on the TINIEST of inclines - so when it was my turn to go, I over-revved the motor, semi-dumped the clutch, tried to save it with some totally nonsensical left-right footwork, and eventually settled on just flooring it. This manifested as Jane DIVING into the intersection and bucking around madly, before finally breaking the tires loose and screaming away in a plume of clutch and tire dust at approximately 6000 RPM. And the whole time this is happening I can hear this child in the back of the SUV just SCREAMING with laughter - yes, over the sound of the motor and tires and everything else - and I felt myself die just a little bit inside. It was one of the first in a long list of embarrassing Jane-related things that has happened to me. It's been 10 years and I still remember that "dang it" vividly.

Another good story could be the time that I drove a dead motor home from Colorado to NC, and just barely made it to my driveway. We concluded that the cam and timing chain were worn, so we replaced them. Then the motor spun a bearing as soon as I started it up :) Turns out the oil pump was mostly dead. Dang it!

Another one could be the time that I did an entire motor swap in 18 hours flat so I could drive from TX to NC, but then found out that the new motor overheated terribly and was completely useless. Then I had to rebuild my old motor and reverse all of the mods I had made to make the new motor fit, so the old motor could go back in. Dang it!

Or what about the time that I thought my starter died at Mt Rainier and I had to take the tow truck ride of shame down the mountain, and then someone replaced the starter, and then I drove to Reno and everything was fine, and then as soon as I got to Yosemite I found out that it hadn't been the starter, it was the flywheel that was toast! That was a good one because then I got to make Ken come rescue me, and he had to help me pull the transmission and fix the flywheel/ring gear :p Double dang it!

My '67 hasn't been on the road much at all this year. Hence no problems, hence no Dang Its.

Haven't had any dang it moments lately with the mustang. Last one I had was a wheel flying off on the highway from loose nuts.

PSA, always check your nuts folks.

Does beaching a boat on rocks with another fixer on it count? Of course that wasnt this year either.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

The only dang it I've done is while the 67 was on the lift, I hit the lift with my Subaru. No damage except a scrape on the Subaru (Dory).

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back