• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

tarafied1

Well I'm going to do it. I'm going to build a drag car for the 1/8th mile.
I originally got the POS 67 coupe from Dave Sanborn to make a trailer out of it. I may still do that but recently I bought another 67 coupe from John, aka janshutz. I went down to Texas Labor day weekend with my dad to pick it up. It's a shell and so was the POS so I will be accumulating a lot of stuff. I did buy a bunch of goodies from James aka jrherald420 a few months ago and I have a lot of stuff laying around. I did get trunk hinges from RyanG85 (and still owe him a modified fuel filler). I need lots of stuff so I may be posting in the wanted section. I have traded some of my RC toys for some 289 heads and other SBF stuff. John threw in a C4. I plan to use a 351W out of my old motor home with the C4. The 67 I got from John was rear-ended (I don't think Ko67 did it!) so it needs rear quarters and frame rails. I may cut the frame rails out of the POS. If I could fab up stuff like J I would back-half the car but I'm not that talented. The dash is cut also so I will take the dash out of the POS or just fab up a flat panel. This build is of course on a budget so I will be doing what I can with as little as possible. That means trading work, parts and occasionally cash for parts.
POS
72_25_11_09_8_46_08_1.jpg

289 heads milled .040" with 351W valves, ported and roller rockers and a Street Dominator Holley Intake I got on a trade
index.php

67 loaded up at John's
index.php

and home
index.php

the thing I like about the one I got from John is no rust!
index.php

It has some pits and holes in the roof but I think I can fix them. It has disc brakes so that's cool too. It needs steering gear box, idler arm, drag link and stuff but the POS has that so I can swap it over. The car I got from John had power brakes too, I think the booster is going into my red car, it also had AC which I gave my dad for his 66.
a few of the parts I have for the project
67grillevi8.jpg

nosfrontvalancebl9.jpg

It's a good thing I live in KY, there are two 67's under the deck and two in the garage!
index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Unofficial StangFix Drag car

looks awesome craig. At least you are lucky with starting with a Disc and V8 platform

Chucky says it looks like lots of fun :) and likes budget builds

Hey Craig, I think the "other" Craig has an extra steering wheel he'd like to unload!

Craig, Looking forward to your build. Nice looking heads.

Craig and his Dad about to leave Allen, Texas and head back to Kentucky.
Craig.jpg

hell yeah a mona-lita would look awesome and go so well with the budget racer

"fordrule" said:
looks awesome craig. At least you are lucky with starting with a Disc and V8 platform
yes but that is about all it's got! lol
"chucky" said:
Chucky says it looks like lots of fun :) and likes budget builds
thanks, I'm gonna see how fast I can go for as little as possible. I'm thinking of trying to stay under $5,000

"janschutz" said:
Craig, Looking forward to your build. Nice looking heads.

Craig and his Dad about to leave Allen, Texas and head back to Kentucky.
Craig.jpg
Thanks John!
"lethal289" said:
Way to go craig, i cant wait to see more. :nta
well since it is on a tight budget, it won't be built at Nick pace or with :nick so it could take a while!

put the trunk lid and hinges on... also the fender I got from James. Need doors before I can do more with the quarter.
index.php

index.php

index.php

If you'll put an Opentracker Racing Products sticker on it I'll chip in some roller perches ?

I'm sure I have a few other bits for the car as well.

"tarafied1" said:
yes but that is about all it's got! lolthanks, I'm gonna see how fast I can go for as little as possible. I'm thinking of trying to stay under $5,000

I'll keep any eye on the wanted ads for you, I'm sure I have a bunch of leftover parts I could send your way to chip in.

Not only would I be proud to put a few stickers on it, I'll paint it OpenTracker colors too! Blue and Orange!
opentrackerlogobanner.jpg

Your the best!!!

"sigtauenus" said:
I'll keep any eye on the wanted ads for you, I'm sure I have a bunch of leftover parts I could send your way to chip in.
cool, I'm going to try and get big stuff locally but it will need lots of little stuff. I appreciate all the support!

"Opentracker" said:
If you'll put an Opentracker Racing Products sticker on it I'll chip in some roller perches ?

I'm sure I have a few other bits for the car as well.
if I put enough stickers on it, I won't have to paint it!

Hey Craig, are you coming to the MCMC show at the Nashville SuperSpeedway this month?
With all those '67's do you have any original F/R bumpers that need rechroming and a little tweaking you want to part with? I take it the race car won't have bumpers.
I'm looking for a pair to eventually do hidden bolts and fresh chrome to. I'll see what I've got to trade or cash if you prefer.
Jon

"Jonk67" said:
Hey Craig, are you coming to the MCMC show at the Nashville SuperSpeedway this month?
With all those '67's do you have any original F/R bumpers that need rechroming and a little tweaking you want to part with? I take it the race car won't have bumpers.
I'm looking for a pair to eventually do hidden bolts and fresh chrome to. I'll see what I've got to trade or cash if you prefer.
Jon
yes and yes, don't need to buy 'em... I'm sure we can come to some deal.

Great, if you want to clean up your car the morning of the show I'll PM you my address, I'm just off of I-24 and the track is ~15min. from my house via back roads to I-840. I may volunteer at the show depending on what's up as it gets closer. I'll try to get a list of extra parts I have to see if you need any. I know I have a new batt. tray apron I didn't use.
Jon

Back