• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

thinking about new tank with in-tank efi pump

Fuel lines running the length of the body should really be hard lines for safety reasons. Flexible used only at the connection points as necessary. Not only is it much safer and less prone to a dangerous leak, it is also considerably cheaper to run a 3/8" SS hard line. A high volume/high pressure electric pump as used with an EFI system will empty your tank incredibly quickly if even a small cut occurs to a soft line. All that gas will be spraying all over the underbelly of your car...you know, where that hot exhaust piping resides!

most of my lines I got from Summit Racing, but I can't remember the brand. WHen I removed my frame mounted pump, I patched in with a section of hose from FiTech which was a little different and easier to use with the fittings. Both are working just fine.

I'm really liking what this gentleman did:

I'm really liking what this gentleman did:

Sven always does great work. That is exactly how it should be done. That's how mine is as well but I went a step further and made a steel cover that mounts over the lines where they convert to hose in the front coming out of the torque box. There is a danger of the tire kicking up a sharp stone or such which could contact the hoses.

If something sharp will cut thru the thermal sleeving and vapor guard hose then most likely it will also damage the hard lines.

Plus if it cuts the line. The FiTech will not get fuel pressure and it will shut down, cutting off the pump.

Or maybe my steering shaft will just kill me. :)

But, hey That's why we have these forums. To ask advise and offer opinions.

Marco, I will grant you it would take some doing to cut a good hose but how often do you see metal debris on the highway? Or maybe a piece of a tire with exposed steel belting? Or even a piece of broken wood? Any of those hit at speed that kick up and strike a hose very well could slice it. Odds of cutting a SS line not nearly as great.

Not everyone is running their electric fuel pumps through a FiTech system. Some are simply keyed on and off. That pump would just keep on pumping.

I know you're joking but manufacturers evolved away from the "Spear-O-Matic" decades ago because it was unsafe. Same reasoning that I am suggesting not to run rubber hoses exposed under a car. If doing something why not do it the best and safest way? In this rare instance it is also much cheaper!

Back