• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

thoughts on solid cam

napaguy

Like the title says, looking for opinions...car will be driven a couple thousand miles a year and will not be raced. TIA

Is it worth the hassle? Probably not the way you will drive it. A hydraulic roller is probably the best bet giving you hassle free adjustments and a few extra ponies thanks to technology.

I'd say it depends on a) how much effort you feel like putting into keeping it running properly, and b) how your engine is built.

Solid lifter setups have their place, and that place is very high (above 6k) rpm use, where hydraulic camshafts simply aren't designed to operate. If you've got an engine that will wind up to 7 or 8 grand and you can deal with the associated lack of low-end throttle response, a solid cam is in your future. If you're more interested in ease of maintenance and don't need to wind the piss out of your motor, a hydraulic cam will be much better for you.

Pat,

Just another pov, I only put about 1,ooo miles a year if lucky and have yet to do any major changes running solid lifters. I check them often, but have only had to adjust them twice in 3 years. The Gold Crane roller rockers with the polylocks are the bomb!

Back