• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Time for new rear springs - need to review entire rear suspension set up

Tims65

It's time to replace my rear spings and I am considering tweaking the entire rear set up.

I have been running
- Mustangs Plus, 4-leaf, mid-eye performance leaf springs
- Edelbrock IAS shocks
- Panhard Bar
- Traction Masters

Last Fall I replaced the fixed bars on my Traction Masters with Afco Spring Rods
7-24-201012-25-37PM_0002.jpg

When I removed the fixed bars from the Traction Masters and put the spring rods on the rear seemed to sag a little, so I think it is time for new springs.

What springs should I consider?
Should I ditch the Traction Masters all together?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you but I had to say those Afco Spring Rods look pretty sweet! :thu If you were happy with the 4 leaf set up before maybe a new set of the same would be fine, or push it to a 4.5 mid eye. Planning to go that route on my rear (may have to look at those Atco's too) when I get around to the rear (cause I'm still getting around to the front and have been for too long now!! LOL!)
On a side note and somewhat related (too early for a complete derail!) Sometime last year you stated in your front end lift thread, that you had cut down your adjusters on your bumpsteer kit. Did you cut both ends or just one end? Thanks, kip (Love your car!)

Consider the Maier 165 Race springs. They stack the springs fat at the front of the spring, acting as a built in traction device. They also lower 1.25". I have them on my car, also with a Maier panhard and Bilsteins. Pics:

53_15_07_09_5_11_28_3.JPG

53-161110151443.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
"TB350" said:
...On a side note and somewhat related (too early for a complete derail!) Sometime last year you stated in your front end lift thread, that you had cut down your adjusters on your bumpsteer kit. Did you cut both ends or just one end? Thanks, kip (Love your car!)

Yes, I cut both ends equally to get an overall length of 4-5/8".

"monkeystash" said:
Consider the Maier 165 Race springs. They stack the springs fat at the front of the spring, acting as a built in traction device. They also lower 1.25". I have them on my car, also with a Maier panhard and Bilsteins.

That is what I did. I ordered the Maier 165 rear leaf springs. I will run them with my panhard bar and will leave the Traction Masters off.

Thanks,
Tim

I am really liking my 4.5 leaf mid eyes, Bilstein shocks and Fays2 Watts link. I can slide it round corners with the throttle and its so easy to control. The TrueTrac lays down the power evenly allowing me to hang the tail out and bring it back with ease.

Get the new springs and ditch those traction bars. They're not needed with new springs.

"Tims65" said:
Mark,

What is your rear suspension set up?

Tim

4 1/2 mid eye leafs, panhard bar, Koni reds set on medium. I removed the traction bars when I added the panhard bar (as suggested by vintage racers).

"silverblueBP" said:
That's just cold

True, but cold :yah

sorry bro.... that was just too good of a lead in to pass up!

does the panhard bar tighten up that sloppy, floating feeling in the rear alot?

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
sorry bro.... that was just too good of a lead in to pass up!

You know, I hate it when I get that feeling. :sm_NTA

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:

Not only that, but it also eliminated cutting down the inside sidewall of the tires!

"Shaun" said:
I am really liking my 4.5 leaf mid eyes, Bilstein shocks and Fays2 Watts link. I can slide it round corners with the throttle and its so easy to control. The TrueTrac lays down the power evenly allowing me to hang the tail out and bring it back with ease.

OK Shaun,

Time for a StreetorTrack.com sale on that Watts link!

Back