• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Timing cover opinion and serpentine kit

Boom

Donator
Howdy everyone, I'm looking at installing a full serpentine kit on my car and one of the vendors, CVF, has a nice kit complete with tensioner but it requires a special timing cover.

I have the part number they gave me and it is the below timing cover:

m6059d351.jpg

This Ford Racing timing cover is nice, but it's also $150. I found a knock off for $67

tcc9_1.1174.jpg

What would you guys choose? I can save almost $100 by getting the off brand cover which helps ease the overall cost. I know it'll need some of the casting cleaned up and I'm fine with that. The serpentine kits all pretty much cover up the timing cover so it won't be seen.

I am looking at the following kits. Any opinions on these also? Ones/brands to avoid.

CVF: https://www.cvfracing.com/Serpentine-System-for-Ford-289-302-351W-AC-Only-p/302-wraptor-aco.htm

Vintage air Front Runner: https://www.vintageair.com/front-runner/?subcat1=Ford Small Block&subcat2=Bright Small Block

Billet Specialties True Trac: http://www.billetspecialties.com/tru-trac-serpentine-systems/ford/small-block-ford/trutrac/sbf/

Concept one: https://www.c1pulleys.com/collectio.../ford-small-block-kit-with-alternator-and-a-c

I was also considering a March kit that had an add on tensioner.

The vintage front runner and Billet true trac are more expensive and use a custom timing cover. Concept one doesn't look as nice as the others to me, but I do have the right timing cover and balancer for it already. I was all but going to order the CVF kit until I saw I needed this other timing cover and another new balancer. Now I'm just looking at a few options and comparing costs.

The engine will have alternator and AC only. A tensioner is a must for me. Tired of that damn belt squeal.

I had trouble with one knockoff awhile ago. The snout that surrounds the crank seal stuck out too far to let the SFI damper to seat. It had a leak as well. I went back to a Ford cover with no problems.

CVF is good on many levels. The owner worked with me to get my setup lined up properly.

Thanks for the info Mark! I have CVF pulleys on the coupe so they were naturally my first choice. I am leaning towards them, I'm just grumbling a bit since the timing cover and balancer info isn't anywhere on their site. You have to call and hopefully they have a part number for the parts they used. I'm wanting to run the shorter water pump also, to make sure I have enough room for the radiator and fan set-up.

When I was working out the details on my pulley setup, I took measurements and drew up what pulley depths I needed. I sent it to him and he actually sent me a few options. When I got the setup correct, I sent the extras back to him and let him know my setup.

Likely not the favored answer but I would spend the $100. If the cheaper one had any issue I would have gladly spent the $ to avoid tearing all apart to re-do being my logic. I suppose you could always buy both, spec them out against one another and return the Ford unit if the cheap one met spec.

Found an even better option hopefully. Went and pulled the timing cover off an 87 Mercury with a 5.0 today. $9 and its all mine. Looks pretty darn close to the Ford Racing one. I'll clean it up and see if it fits with the CVF kit, if not then I'll just get the Ford Racing one and not eat out for lunch one day.

I planned on test fitting everything before I get out any RTV. Plus I need to chase out all the bolt holes on the block.

+1. I believe the original damper was for a 28 ounce imbalance; in 1981 (I think) they went to a 50 ounce weight.

Yep, spot on for a 302/5.0. I only grabbed the timing cover so hopefully no issues.

I ended up ordering the full CVF Racing kit. I'll post some pictures when I get it in this week. Just wanted to update you guys. Still don't have a good idea which balancer to get, their customer service said that balancer selection isn't as picky with their set-up compared to others. Not sure how much I like that answer, but seems like I'll have to do some leg work to figure it out.

Found an even better option hopefully. Went and pulled the timing cover off an 87 Mercury with a 5.0 today. $9 and its all mine. Looks pretty darn close to the Ford Racing one. I'll clean it up and see if it fits with the CVF kit, if not then I'll just get the Ford Racing one and not eat out for lunch one day.

I planned on test fitting everything before I get out any RTV. Plus I need to chase out all the bolt holes on the block.

that cover should do just fine since the ford racing cover was based off the cover you bought. in fact the timing cover you bought should have the boss for the dipstick for the front sump pan that you can drill out if necessary.

Back