• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Toe boards and Firewall

So I'm into this project with my 66 coupe. Admittedly, I was 17 when I bought it and like my mom always said, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, so needless to say, I bit off more than I could chew (at that point anyway). So there came a time in college where it was a choice between selling or keeping. I decided to keep it and learn as I go, this way I'll know for next time, right?

Anyway, I have the floors out and I decided to work on the front end before moving back to the wheel wells, etc. I'm working on the right side firewall extension (toe board) right now. The issue is, there's a *small* patch of rusted out metal above the toe boards but the firewall is in good condition. I was toying with the idea of modifying the toe board and welding a patch to the toe board that will fit into the area i need to replace on the firewall (i feel like the firewall extension they sell won't really fit the bill). I should probably have pictures of this for you guys, but I figured I'd give it a shot, maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts on how tough it is to shape the metal to she shape/size I want?

Thanks in advance.

Any thoughts on how tough it is to shape the metal to she shape/size I want?

How are your welding sills?

When faced with forming an odd shaped piece of metal it's far easier to form the entire piece by welding together smaller pieces.

Welding skills are ok. I've done some little projects with it. Practice a lot with scraps, and I built a cart for the welder. I haven't welded anything for the car yet. I was thinking I'd start on one end, weld a little, bend into place, weld a little, bend more, etc, until i get the shape I want. I figured I'd give it a shot, because if it doesn't work out, I can go get a new toe board or just lop off the patch.

"Robs66Coupe" said:
... I can go get a new toe board or just lop off the patch.

Starting with a full toe board would speed up the process, and I don't they're very expensive. Also, you might look into picking up a Panel Beater Sandbag to help with shaping the pieces.

p662.jpg

Back