• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tractor Supply Exide Batteries

So no testing other than my own today. Replaced the front driver turn signal bulb...well actually just reinstalled the one that fell out when I removed the lens. It works now.

Replaced the heater blower fuse...because it was blown. So heater blower works now.

Battery voltage readings at post as follows: Engine OFF
Nothing On: 12.78V
Headlights On: 12.45V
Headlights, Fog Lights On: 12.38V
Headlights, Fog Lights, Heater Blower On: 12.13V

AMP meter hooked in series with battery with nothing ON showed no current flowing on amps or micro-amps settings.

I'll drive it Tuesday and stop by AZ to see if they will load test it for me. Taking the #7 plug to engine builder tomorrow to let him look at it. It's the only one that looks this way after 500 miles. Wondering if this cylinder may be the cause of my misfire above 5000 RPM. It's the third plug and second heat range I have tried.

EA18_B045-50_D1-4_F43-8_FC8-7010981_DF12_E.jpg

That looks terrible for 500 miles and a fresh engine!

re the starter, when was the last time it was replaced? the brushes in the starter motor deteriorate over time and use. also if you have any kind of oil leak in that area, that will get in the starter and cause problems, been hit by that issue a few times over the years.

as for the plug, you have an issue with oil control on the intake valve, most likely a bad or improperly installed oil seal, or a bad valve guide. even with a fresh engine, the builder might have missed something.

So tonight I disconnected the battery terminals cleaned them really well with the wire brush battery terminal cleaner and cleaned the battery cables. Greased them with dielectric grease and reattached...tightly. Removed, cleaned all paint, and ran a thread chaser into the front block ground connection. Greased and reconnected...tightly. I will say this connection could have been considered loose relative to the others. I couldn't turn it with my fingers, but it required little to no torque to move with a wrench. Did the same to the engine to firewall connection. It was tight at both connections. Battery is fully charged at 13.45V with no load.

Driving tomorrow...

Back