• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"trunk divider board" ?

steveh326

I noticed a 'trunk divider board' on a vendor site, I think it is designed to go between the back seat back and the trunk... far as I know my car has never had one. getting ready to reinstall the seats and wondered if I should bother with this board? Not sure of it's function, whether it deadens sound, or adds a small measure of protection between the trunk and passenger compartment or something else.

it's not very expensive, I may go ahead and get one to see what it's all about, unless someone tells me it's a waste of time/$.

You could also just make your own. I'm sure the vendor part is just some cheap fiberboard. I would get a sturdier piece of material locally and maybe add a layer of sound deadener/heat barrier.

thanks, wil make my own. I still have a roll of sound deadener around here somewhere will add that to it, can't hurt. thanks everyone.

Vendor trunk dividers are typically metal to act as a fire break. Sound deadener by itself would be useless for acting as fire break.

If your fuel tank ruptures and a fire ignites a divider board isn't going to save you. Come on. And sound deadeners are usually foil (metal) backed and affixed to a board would afford enough time as a fire break to heft even the fattest of asses out of the car but that is not the point. A better purpose is to isolate the cabin from the rear of the car in terms of noise, heat and if made well to seal off the trunk...fumes.
If you really wanted to install something to seal the cabin off from potential fuel/fire in the even to of an accident and ruptured tank (more than rare by the way) you can install a metal lid over the tank itself. The self proclaimed Mustang expert (The Doctor) has one. It would actually seal off the fuel area. The divider doesn't do that.

I wouldn't myself. Waste of cash. Mustangs don't blow up anymore than a Pinto. Fabricated BS.

Vendor trunk dividers are typically metal to act as a fire break. Sound deadener by itself would be useless for acting as fire break.

Sorry Mid I was not clear. I'll make a divider from metal divider, then I have some peel and stick sound deadener to put over it...

Back