• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk drop off drain holes

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I thought I had posted it here, but awhile ago I was trying to see what the drain hole for a 68's trunk drop off looks like, not knowing that Shag already had it in the new drop offs. We put Shag up on the car lift today to start preparing the bottom side and I grabbed my camera:

This is the driver's side

I was wondering how they attached. I figured it out just now by looking at your pic and looking at the drain plugs I just happened to have in my pocket (don't ask, I've been carrying them around for days) I would imaging you use a sealant on the back side of the plug, then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pinch the two little ears that stick out the back. If you pinch them from the front, they spread in the back(where it goes through the square hole). That spreads the ears out and clamps the plug into that square hole. Now, do we cut the thin rubber that covers the hole or leave it there to act as a diaphragm? I would think the diaphragm stays. If it does stay, be careful not to get any sealant on the diaphragm as it would stiffen it and make it useless.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mike,
I was also wondering about the diaphragm, especially when it got hard. I was considering cutting it out but the rooster tail caused by the rear wheel would allow moisture to go right up into the hole, so yes I guess the diaphragm stays.

Back