• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tuesday rant

blue65coupe

Let me set the scene. When you come down our stairs you walk straight into the basement. To your right is a media room and to the left is a bathroom and a playroom/workout room. The wife wanted a hallway built so when you come down the stairs you walk into a finished area and can access the other rooms without walking into the unfinished/man cave basement. OK, no problem. It's a plus for me 'cause it keeps people outta my shit. What's involved? Not much. Two walls, ceiling, floor covering, and cutting a doorway into an existing wall in the media room. (Why is it called a media room? WTH, it's a room with a tv and your loud ass surround sound) Anyway, I send her to Lowe's y'day to pick out the paint colors and flooring. Last night I'm gonna head to get the paint as I'll be ready to paint the walls tomorrow. She has some sort of "soft" yellow for the walls and white for the trim. OK.

Me: "Jen, we have some antique white that we used on trim upstairs and some off-white that we used on a hallway. Which one do you want me to use on the trim for the downstairs hallway?" (Remember, it's just a hallway to get to rooms.....in the basement)

Jen: "Neither. I want the white on that color chart."

Me: "But I have antique white and white we used on a hallway. Which one do you want me to use?"

Jen: "Neither. I want the white on the chart."

Me: "But we have white in the hallway."

Jen: "No, we have off-white in the hallway."

Me: "What's the difference? It's white and I have some left."

Jen: "I don't want that white. It's off-white and I want white."

Not understanding what difference it makes in a BASEMENT HALLWAY, I head to Lowe's. I walk up to the paint counter with my two colors in hand and tell the person, "I want a gallon of this yellow and a quart of this white in your Olympic paint."

Counterperson: "Sir your white is an Olympic color but your yellow is a Valspar premium color."

Me: "Well, can I get the yellow in Olympic?"

Counterperson: "Not in that exact color."

Me: "What's the price difference in your premium vs. Olympic?"

Counterperson: "About $12 a gallon."

After a minute of trying to comprehend this, I know what's gonna happen if I try to get the Olympic color version. I get what I've been sent to get and head home all the time wondering why in the hell we can't use the "cheaper" paint for the walls and existing white we already have for the trim. I know I don't understand, but I'd like to. I get home and walk in the door.

Me: "Did they not have a color you could have used in the Olympic paint? This stuff was $12 more a gallon."

Jen: "Not in the shade I wanted."

WTH? It's freakin' yellow and white. Every brand of paint has 50 million shades of each color. And why can't white just be white? I don't know what confuses me more...trying to rationalize with a woman or trying to rationalize with some of you over healthcare. :rp

I'd swear you've seen the video of MY life and was just plagiarizing it :ep

<Bill C voice>: I feel your pain.

Our first house, she picked out colors for every room (old house, all needed painting, even I though so). We lived 1.5 hours from any large city, so she picked all of them up when she was there.

I start painting the first room.

"Oh, that's not the right color."

"Yes it is - see here, you labeled it LR."

"No, I mean it doesn't go right with the wood trim."

"WTF? You picked it out."

Was it starting to get cold in there, or was it just me?
"It's just not right."

To make a long story short, I ended up giving away over 20 gallons of assorted colors that just weren't right. I also discovered the cold draft was coming down the stairs from the bedroom :scar

Now, she chooses a color, buys the little pint, then I put it on the wall. She dosen't like it, so we buy another pint of something else. She dosen't like it. As you said, 50 million shades, but none that are right. So, I start mixing, come up with something she likes, then get it made in the cheapest crap I can find.

I hate painting.

Painting is right down there with port-a-potty cleaning and PLUMBING.

:wm?

Spent all last Easter weekend (Fri.Sat. &Sun.) painting the living room and dining room (cathedral ceilings, plant shelves etc. to deal with) Finally finished on Sunday. Spent the entire following week putting everything back into place and cleaning up. What happens the next weekend ? " That is not the shade I was looking for. It's a little too light. We are going have to get a darker shade and re-do it" :wtf :roulette

If my wife wants to paint, she picks the color, and then SHE buys it and brings it home. I told her very early in our relationship I wasn't gonna put up with goofy shit like that. She knows if she sends me pick up white paint, she's getting white paint. Not off-white, or eggshell, or cream, or any other ghey ass color men can't see.
Men see basic colors, women see all 86 billion or so shades of every one. And plus, we don't care.

And now you know why I don't fucking paint. I didn't even paint most of our house now, she did.

Don't forget that you'll have to apply wax over the paint to protect it from acid rain, dirt, and handprints.

Guess I am lucky in the paint SWMBO picking the color, but it ends there. No problem picking the colors, she just cannot paint worth a crap so if I want it done right I have to do it. fd

One of our bathrooms has gone from dark purple to light purple to chocolate colored below the chair rail she had me install. I am waiting for her to tell me to paint it to the original almond shade of beige. :cry

Back