• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tuners for an '09 V6

Jonk67

Well the wife keeps harping that she wants a faster Mustang, but not looking to sell her Warriors in Pink model so I'm looking at getting a tuner to keep her sedated.... I plan to add a CAI or fab my own.

Anyone have a preference or experience between the Bama XC SF3 vs. Diablo Sport U7145. I see the Diablo has been discontinued and replaced by the inTune. I seem to see the Diablo on fleabay for ~$100 pretty often and it works on V6 & V8 '07-'09. I think she'd only need the 3 canned tunes that would come with either for 87/91/93 octane. I'm more interested in the better shift points for her automatic and removing the (what feels like) 5 second delay from pedal to throttle body response.

Then thrown into the mix I made the mistake of reading about the new inTune and how it fits most all Fords from 98-'14? I've got an '05 Escape and may get the daughter a used Focus in a few years that might be fun to fiddle with but then I'm looking at $400 if I go that route....
Jon

Most tuners I've dealt with are "married" to the car that has been tuned. In other words they cannot be used to tune another car until the stock tune has been put back in the car that the tuner was used on.

I would recommend locating a local tuner...they tune the car....not sending a canned tune for a car close to yours. Don't jump to fast...look over what is local. Maybe corner some of the local Mustang racers and such.

Also, would she really change tunes....I have three on my Lightning....I only run one....the fast one. Nothing like wanting the power and having to make a switch real quick....woops....there went the other....oh, wait, we don't street race. Rven at that, I never change it.

On my '07, I took the pedal box apart and re-positioned the feelers according to a deal I found on line. Totally removed the lag.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
Can you put any of that in english??

Ha ha, sorry Steve, yeah it's a mouthful. Now that her car looks nice again, she wants to go faster!

Thanks Pete, I'll have to look into local tuners, no idea what they charge but I like to fiddle and figured I'd put a conservative 87 octane tune for hwy trips, etc. and then switch to an aggressive tune for weekend fun so I'd like to be able to switch the tune if/when I wanted to. She'll never change it but I may. Still weighing the options. I just found that thread about adjusting the pedal electronics, that may fix the dead space in the pedal but won't remove the lag time it appears, hence the tuner.

Many people 'unmarry' the tuner from their car (bring it back to stock) before selling so they can sell the tuner separately, that's what I look for.

Just debating if I should wait and save up to get the newer one that works on most any Ford ~'99 - '14 since I'm pretty sure our next car will be another ford at least.
jon

the guy up in Lebanon who built pops motor builds 4.6's & races them. you want me to track down his number for you? i'm sure if he races, he knows all about that Chinese stuff you guys are talking about...

Hey Steve, that's ok, I'd be embarrassed to tell him it's for a V6... Just trying to get some input on which brand of tuner may be better or have more useable features.
thanks

If you're just wanting to play with shift points and a canned tune, you could get one of those Diablosport handhelds. Only bad part is there is no support from Diablosport for those now.

I want an intune for my truck. Play with the canned tunes for a bit, but really want a custom tune.

I am in no way an expert or authority. For what it's worth, I did have a "SuperChips" tuner for my F150. It is as Grabber70Mach said, "Married" to the vehicle. I was able to program shift points and speedo (since I had bigger tires), and canned tunes, etc. My F150 had the 4.6 and I used it for towing. It had no torque but the Superchips programmer allowed me to make it more useful. I liked that I could play with the settings myself. It would also read "check engine" codes. I would always set it back to stock if it had to go to the dealer for anything and man could you tell the difference. After my experience with Superchips I'd buy one again...

Back