• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Turn signal switch orientation '68?

Jonk67

About to install my steering column and don't know what the orientation of the 4 white plastic buttons that surround and spin with the shaft should be. There is one that has a metal button in the center as seen in the pic, the other 3 are white plastic.

IMG_0223.jpg

Which 1,2 or 3 buttons should be between the TS switch 'prongs'? As you can see they are spaced differently. I'm guessing they are what clicks the TS switch on/off when the wheel returns to center but don't know where they should be with the wheel centered.
Thanks, Jon

The metal pole should stick out further than the rest. The stock steering wheel has a recess this metal pole sticks into. When the wheel is turned, it turns the plastic part you are referring to. When it turns, the plastic poles release the turn signal operation as you complete the turn.

The orientation is not crucial. When the wheel is placed on and turned, the long metal bar will will seat in position. I would just align it with the steering wheel.

Thanks for the help 67TXStang and thanks for the tutorial link Craig.

I looked at my MotoLita wheel adapter and there is an indentation that lines up with the pin, much like the groove cut in the stock wheel, never would have figured that out.

It looks like (from Craigs tutorial pic) the groove is at ~4-5 o'clock when the wheel is on, I'll line the pin up there and install the adapter to slide over it then screw the steering wheel to the adapter as straight as I can. I would imagine the orientation would make a difference if that's where the groove is with the steering wheel mounted and the center bar pointing @6 o'clock.
Thanks guys,
Jon

IIRC the pin is spring loaded, so it shouldn't matter where it is when you put the wheel on, it'll self align the first time you turn the wheel.

I'm not using the stock wheel (it crumbled) so I have no reference for where the pin would be located when the stock wheel is installed with the wheels straight centered. What o'clock position should the pin be at?

Woodsteeringwheel.jpg

I'm installing a MotoLita wheel with adapter and can make a notch in the adapter to line up with the pin if I know where the pin should be.
Thanks, Jon

I just looked at my original steering wheel, the notch is somewhere between 7 and 8 o'clock position.

"crazyhorse" said:
IIRC the pin is spring loaded, so it shouldn't matter where it is when you put the wheel on, it'll self align the first time you turn the wheel.

Like he says, it's self aligning.

Thanks Craig, I'll shoot for 7:30!
So Mustang_Charly I could put it anywhere and it'd work as long as it rotates with the wheel?
Thanks, Jon

Back