• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TW R11 205 too much head for the street?

I’ve been trying to put together a list of parts to rebuild my 351W for far too long. After wavering between a regular rebuild and a strocker, I’ve decided to just go with a stock rebuild at .030” over. With the rebuild, I’m adding aluminum heads and shooting for around 10.3:1 compression. I’m not chasing a specific HP number but I want to certainly want to feel it when I mash the gas pedal. With that being said, I’m pretty set on going with some R11 heads. The question is whether or not the 205 heads would be overkill or if I should look at 190 heads instead. Any thoughts?

An engine/car's performance is a result of the sum of all it's parts. In this case, a cylinder head alone means nothing. What intake is used? Cam specs? Drivetrain gearing? If an auto, what does it have for a convertor? Just how high will you wind it up? All this will help to understand if a "larger" head will be the correct choice.

Having written all that I can tell you that from personal experience I too favor the R11 head design. I run a set of 190's on a 347 with a bit more compression. A dual plane AirGap intake and a healthy hydraulic roller cam. All runs through a 5 speed manual. The R11 heads flow massive volumes of air. Either will feed a 351. Your engine will be just slightly larger in cubes than mine so I can tell you from practice the 190 would be enough head. My combo is still pulling HARD when I get out of it at 6K.

An engine/car's performance is a result of the sum of all it's parts. In this case, a cylinder head alone means nothing. What intake is used? Cam specs? Drivetrain gearing? If an auto, what does it have for a convertor? Just how high will you wind it up?
Here is some additional info to help fill in the blanks. Drivetrain consists of a 3.89:1 gear ratio in a 9” housing. Trans is a TKO 600. I haven’t decided on an intake yet but an air gap RPM manifold is in the running. If I can make it fit, a Victor Jr. intake will also make the short list. I haven’t picked out a cam yet because in my research, it looks like the cam manufacturers (leaning towards Isky or Howards) want to know compression ratio, head parameters, etc. to suggest a cam. As for max RPM, I believe stock 351w redlines are around 6000RPM so I’m planning to keep it under that number for the life of the engine. If I end up beefing up the internals, I may reconsider how far to push it. Right now, I’m planning on reconditioning the stock rods during the rebuild.

The 190 is all you need. You're combo is likely to rarely (if ever) see the sustained higher rpm operation where any minimal gains of a little extra flow might really show. Those 10 extra cubes over my 347 don't warrant a bigger head. For a street car build, money would be better spent doing a larger bore and/or stroking it. There is no replacement for displacement is a saying for a reason. The torque gains of increased stroke are also MUCH MORE appreciated on a street ride than high RPM HP gains of a larger flowing head.

Carb or injection? If carb, I would absolutely suggest the dual plane intake. Dual planes are great for real, actual street performance use. The AirGap is a really well designed piece. And I mean the real one by Edelbrock. The cheap knock-off Chinese POS doesn't come close in testing. Lots of flaws. If injection, it's typically easier to run a single plane and still get great low end throttle response, etc. than trying to get a carb set-up to work as well. This is especially true if port injected.

Back