• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

two questions

SELLERSRODSHOP

on the stock harness that runs to the tranny for the neutral safety/ backup lights there are 4 wires. two are red & the other pair are black with a red stripe. i'm planning on cutting the switch off & using the harness to wire up my t5 switches. are the two red wires the neutral safety & the black/red stripe the backup switch?

also, on my alternator harness there are the two connections in the boot & there is also a single black wire. is this a ground? it was cut & not hooked up to anything, but alt. worked fine & charged, so assume its a ground. this is the only cobbled up piece of wiring on the car...

thanks!

First question: Yes, although the red wires are actually red/blue.

Second question: The third wire should be black/red and should be part of the three-pronged connector. It is a ground wire that connects the alternator to the VR chassis.

one more question: i made up that ground cable that goes from the alternator to the voltage regulator body. when i started the car, withing a few seconds, that wire fried. it didn't just get hot, the insulation melted off. none of the other wiring was hot, just the one. it had originally been clipped & not connected , just a lead of wire hanging from the alternator, so guess there were issues before i bought the car. any ideas??

Are you sure you're using the ground post on the alternator?

When you start the car up next time, measure the voltage at that post, and then measure the voltage at the VR housing. They both should be reading close to 0 V. This test may determine which component is bad.

mid,

it was kinda my fault for taking something the p.o. did at face value. i loosened up the alternator & rotated it up where i could see the back & the black lead of wire that i put a ring terminal on & grounded at the regulator was in fact hooked to the stator. guess the black insulator threw them off a bit. when i pulled the motor, i unfastened the black & orange wires & since the other black ground wire was cut & hanging, never payed attention to what it was hooked to. i knew for it to cook that fast there had to be some juice running thru there.... thanks again!

Strangely, the ground wires at the alternator are black/red, whereas most everywhere else on the car, ground wires are black.

Back