• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ugggh.

RapidRabbit

Donator
Don't you hate it when I simple project on the Mustang drives you down a huge rabbit hole.

I pulled my driver's seat today to install the seat track extenders I bought.

Like an idiot I decided to just pull up the and peek under the carpet.

I knew at some point some one has done a poor patch job on the floor pans. It looks solid on the underside of these car, but bad track job and such.

Well, here is the top side under the carpet. Still seems solid but it's pretty flakey. Luckily the seat mount base is solid.

So I guess now I get to pull the carpet out and do some more investigating. Maybe I can wire wheel and see if I can stop the cancer.

c1ea31f5bc8f81b9834142ad1111c084.jpg
eea407c159dd135a35a93b326a5656da.jpg
a182b86f548c4dfd2e8eb8368de97418.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

That does look pretty flaky. Hard to tell the condition until you vacuum it all up and maybe like you said, take a wire wheel to it and see.

So I pulled the carpet, vacuumed and ran a wire wheel and this is what I have.

It seems solid? I'll clean it up a bit more later. Didn't have a ton of time.

I'm thinking a rust inhibitor and some paint and leave it?

What do you guys think?
082ff5e3325ed2d08610386c0d31da05.jpg
90cf8b8e66651f14733b16649d9293bb.jpg

Also what is the bolt for?

Here's the passenger side. Looks ok except for a hole where that bolt was.

I'll have to patch that.
b45b21a51becfb86876fd3db9dbf9c38.jpg
cbaee12fde96e05649e44c8a00154cef.jpg

Looks to be mainly surface rust so should be OK. Do you know how the water is coming in?
No idea. It could have been like that since before I bought it. I never pulled out the front carpets before. Only the rear.

Take all the interior out and fix it all....why just fix a spot......POR15 it all and get it all done.

A couple of months after I bought my '70 Mach 1 I noticed the carpets were wet (breakup, melting snow etc) . . . there were NO floor pans under the carpet. I parked the Mach for 15 years until I could afford a complete restoration.

A couple of months after I bought my '70 Mach 1 I noticed the carpets were wet (breakup, melting snow etc) . . . there were NO floor pans under the carpet. I parked the Mach for 15 years until I could afford a complete restoration.
This car hasn't seen rain more than 3 or 4 times in the 18 years I've owned it.

I don't even wash it with water.

So I'm guessing it's been like that for some time just slowly crumbling from humidity.

POR-15 is a joke, don't waste your time using it. Best thing to do is dissolve the rust as best you can with something like "prep and etch" or rust 911. Once you get to clean metal, just prime and paint it with your primer of choice. Most any epoxy will work fine, even a few coats of Rustoleum primer would be fine - even brushed on. POR-15 is way over rated... might be fine in a dry climate, but once you get to clean metal, which can be achieved, just coating it with anything that prevents air getting at it will slow / stop the spread of rust.

POR-15 is a joke, don't waste your time using it. Best thing to do is dissolve the rust as best you can with something like "prep and etch" or rust 911. Once you get to clean metal, just prime and paint it with your primer of choice. Most any epoxy will work fine, even a few coats of Rustoleum primer would be fine - even brushed on. POR-15 is way over rated... might be fine in a dry climate, but once you get to clean metal, which can be achieved, just coating it with anything that prevents air getting at it will slow / stop the spread of rust.
Couldn't agree more. A lot of guys swear by it but that's just because they used it once. Ask anyone who has come behind such an application down the road a bit when they go back and remove it. From what I've seen all it does is hide the rust not prevent it from getting worse.
I remove all the rust via whatever mechanical means fits the task and then follow up with an application of phosphoric acid (the aforementioned "prep & etch"), rinse clean and dry, wipe it all down with acetone and then seal things up with an epoxy primer. For something like your floor situation I'd suggest a simple 2K spray can epoxy from Eastwood. Wait until you have the whole area ready for spray as once you "pop" that can you have limited time to use it. They say up to a day but experience has shown me you have really only a couple hours. Best to wait and spray all at once for best result.

I have mixed feelings on por15. I've never used it, but it seems to be a bit of a mess.

I'll likely follow the clean, etch and seal.

I waited for Mike to come over and tell me what to do, but he never showed up.

Back