• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Underhood fuse box with relocated battery...power from alternator wire??

buening

Its friday and my brain isn't working. My solenoid and battery are both in the trunk. There are many times I need a power source under the hood, for instance I'll be installing headlight relays and will also need power for my large fan. Since the alternator charge wire is connected to the battery post on the solenoid, that would mean its hot all the time right?? Couldn't I just attach a wire to the charge post of the alternator and run it to a small fusebox to provide power to these things?? Is there "pulsing" from the alternator that would cause problems, like for things such as a PWM fan controller? Hopefully someone here has more electrical knowledge about this stuff than I :shy

Although not the best solution (IMO only), attaching it to the batt terminal on the alt won't cause any issues.

Matt these cars actually used a junction block, which I think were for Shelby's or convertibles (can't remember which). It wasn't as fancy as that one though.

"johnpro" said:
I tried to order that junction block from Mad Electrical a few weeks ago. He says he can no longer get them individually. You have to buy them in another kit of some sort, jumping the price WAY up.

Yea I just found that out myself. See my new post.

I used this type of power distribution block. I have one under the dash and one in my fuse panel in the engine compartment.

70008_big.jpg

I purchased it from Del City for about $10 bucks.

Here's pic of it installed in my engine compartment fuse/relay panel box.

23791070055_large.jpg

And here's a pic of the under dash distribution block when I was installing it. The final install includes a plastic cover.

23791070060_large.jpg

So does everyone that has the starter solenoid in the trunk run a separate power wire to a distribution block in the engine bay, or do they tap into the alternator charge post like I was asking about?

"buening" said:
So does everyone that has the starter solenoid in the trunk run a separate power wire to a distribution block in the engine bay, or do they tap into the alternator charge post like I was asking about?

I ran a separate power wire to the distribution block.

Back