• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

UP car on ebay

Hmmmm, located in Newport Beach CA with Jersey tags... How many cars did unique actually finish, any one know? I guess they would be in the Shelby registry, no? #55 seems pretty early and only 2700 miles?

Looks to me like the guy likes many of the same pics and posted them over and over. Before bidding, I would ask for some different pics. Also maybe a trip to NB or one of our SoCal guys like FD could stop by and take a look.

Mel

I suspect he might wind up in the 70's if that.............. And for less than that I would buy a Boss and have change left over :$$$

"1497" said:
No.
For that money I'd buy a real Shelby with no stories.

From the ebay ad "This is a true, authentic, GT500E with Carrol Shelby's signature all over it, in the Shelby registry, and not a clone using aftermarket parts."

"Fast68back" said:
From the ebay ad "This is a true, authentic, GT500E with Carrol Shelby's signature all over it, in the Shelby registry, and not a clone using aftermarket parts."

Even if it is a Shelby authorized GT500E, it is still a wannabe in my mind.

"bigb427" said:
Even if it is a Shelby authorized GT500E, it is still a wannabe in my mind.

+1

This car is really a sweet modified fastback. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in my mind, true Shelbys are only the ones built in the 60's.

"1497" said:
No.
For that money I'd buy a real Shelby with no stories.
I could never "buy" a real Shelby or even this car, (no fund$) but I know what it costs to build a Mustang. That is a nice car regardless of what you call it. I personally would NEVER buy a real Shelby or Boss or any other "rare" car because I don't want to be criticized for modifying, driving or plain beating on something like that. I would buy/build a modified Mustang anyday and spend way more than it is "worth" if I can enjoy it. I think that's why there is a market for these cars. They don't get bought and sold to sit in someone's garage, collection or trailer. They aren't for snooty guys who want mirrors under them and ropes around them at indoor car shows. They aren't even for "Mustang" guys (who are more often than not the guys who bash them), they are for car lovers, gearheads, drivers who want a cool car they can thrash, IMO.

I think thats part of the issue, maybe Jason over at Classic Recreations could lend some insight, if 'ol Carroll gives his OK to produce the cars, like he did with UP, they end up in the registry. While I have never personally seen one of the registry books, I'm unaware of how they are broken up. Is there a section for "real" Shelby's and a section for "reproductions"? Similar issues with the Cobra's, werent there a number of original cars and then X amount of second generation cars.

It's very much like the aged old adage what comes first the Chicken or the egg? I personally can see both :craz view points Hell I even own both :$$$ That's what makes this hobby what it is. If we all wanted and enjoyed the same thing how boring would that be.

Or like a Great American once said

Rodney King - Can we all get along?

What it all comes down to for me is asking this question: Which car would you rather own in 20 years? I would rather own a Shelby that was sold new through a Ford dealership - it has a much better chance of maintaining or increasing value with time. The GT500E will only be worth what a regular Mustang would be worth plus a little more for the mods. I would much rather save my money for a good down payment on the car that was sold new as a Shelby.
A concours or really nice 67 or 68 GT Mustang fastback is more desirable to me than a GT500E.

"bigb427" said:
What it all comes down to for me is asking this question: Which car would you rather own in 20 years? I would rather own a Shelby that was sold new through a Ford dealership - it has a much better chance of maintaining or increasing value with time. The GT500E will only be worth what a regular Mustang would be worth plus a little more for the mods. I would much rather save my money for a good down payment on the car that was sold new as a Shelby.
A concours or really nice 67 or 68 GT Mustang fastback is more desirable to me than a GT500E.

Sure an original Shelby from the 60's would be a better investment, but I'd have a lot more fun driving a highly modified fastback. I definitely would not want to drive an original Shelby the way I drive my car on the track; there's just too much of a risk of trashing your investment.

It all comes down to personal taste and goals. This is one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting to me. Hell, if I had the financial means, I'd have one of each!... plus an early Ford hotrod, a 50's truck, a hemi Mopar, the list goes on and on. I really should win the lottery.

"bigb427" said:
One could build such a car for quite a bit less money than these GT500E's are selling for.
not quite a bit, maybe a little bit. Just price out all the parts on that car and tell me what you come up with. Again, they are really modded cars. As for investing, yes a Real Shelby would be a better investment but that is my point (and Garner's too I think). I could "invest" in a lot of things, stocks, bonds, real estate, etc. A real Shelby would just sit in a garage, to maintain it's investment quality you couldn't do anything with it or risk losing your investment. If you buy or build a Mustang, you probably won't get your investment back but you will get your money's worth if you enjoy it. An investment is only a good investment when you sell it and make money (or don't lose any). During the rest of the time about all you can do is look at it, talk about it, etc. I'm not saying a real Shelby is bad, I just don't want one, I'd rather have this car in 20 years because I would have driven the wheels off it and had a blast and maybe changed a few more things during that time. And a real Shelby is outdated and you can never change it where this car is is as good or better than the new ones. Modern drive-line, suspension, seats, etc. It won't effect it's value if you change the color, put bigger tires, change the trans, etc.

"Fast68back" said:
I think thats part of the issue, maybe Jason over at Classic Recreations could lend some insight, if 'ol Carroll gives his OK to produce the cars, like he did with UP, they end up in the registry. While I have never personally seen one of the registry books, I'm unaware of how they are broken up. Is there a section for "real" Shelby's and a section for "reproductions"? Similar issues with the Cobra's, werent there a number of original cars and then X amount of second generation cars.

One needs to define "the registry" IMO, (notice there is no H in there, I've never been humble) The only registry for original 60's produced Shelby cars is the one maintained by SAAC. Any continuation cars produced under license can and should be listed in the "other" regisrty.
Rick, next time we have a GTG, I'll bring a registry for you to thumb through. It's exceptionally done and maintains the integrity of the marque. Without it and SAAC, the hobby would be littered with air cars.

"tarafied1" said:
not quite a bit, maybe a little bit. Just price out all the parts on that car and tell me what you come up with. Again, they are really modded cars. As for investing, yes a Real Shelby would be a better investment but that is my point (and Garner's too I think). I could "invest" in a lot of things, stocks, bonds, real estate, etc. A real Shelby would just sit in a garage, to maintain it's investment quality you couldn't do anything with it or risk losing your investment. If you buy or build a Mustang, you probably won't get your investment back but you will get your money's worth if you enjoy it. An investment is only a good investment when you sell it and make money (or don't lose any). During the rest of the time about all you can do is look at it, talk about it, etc. I'm not saying a real Shelby is bad, I just don't want one, I'd rather have this car in 20 years because I would have driven the wheels off it and had a blast and maybe changed a few more things during that time. And a real Shelby is outdated and you can never change it where this car is is as good or better than the new ones. Modern drive-line, suspension, seats, etc. It won't effect it's value if you change the color, put bigger tires, change the trans, etc.

+1

yeah, what craig says. i'd prefer to have a Mustang to drive!

if i wanna invest my cash, i'll invest in something more traditional than a classic car, like stocks, bonds, property, etc.

however, i do appreciate the people who do buy and preserve original cars. it's great to see them at shows, but those cars aren't for me to own.

"bigb427" said:
One could build such a car for quite a bit less money than these GT500E's are selling for.

Do you have a ballpark figure in mind or are you just talking out your arse?

Having built an E-clone I know exactly what it costs. What most people fail to take into consideration with these reproduction cars is that EVERY item is new and where possible enhanced through aftermarket "upgrades".

"daveSanborn" said:
Do you have a ballpark figure in mind or are you just talking out your arse?

Having built an E-clone I know exactly what it costs. What most people fail to take into consideration with these reproduction cars is that EVERY item is new and where possible enhanced through aftermarket "upgrades".

I have to believe his way of thinking is that an individual could build such a car for less and in that line of thought he is right. The minute you start to hire out parts of the build I think you would find you quickly start to approach some pretty big numbers.

My car as an example, doing everything myself (except for the media blasting) I will easily surpass $55-60k in real expense. Like you said about an Eleanor, in that cost is virtually every single part of the car. In most cases this not just stock replacement but full on modern, high performance and/or high tech improvements. If I added in my labor hours (as you would with a custom build purchase), even at minimum wage...that's where the real price tag develops.

Back