• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Update on Shag's new suspension

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
With the help of John of Opentracker Racing Products, I've just ordered the following:

*P/S steering rebuild kit w/Roller Idler Arm + Baer Tracker
*1/4" Poly spring insulators (Mustangs Plus)
*KYB Front shocks (Mustangs Plus)
*Grab-A-Trak Rear shocks (Mustangs Plus)
*1 1/8" front sway bar (Mustangs Plus)
*Adjustable Strut Rods (Street or Track)
*Roller Spring Perches
*Street Lower Control Arms w/spherical bearing
*Roller Street Upper Control Arms
*4.5 Mideye rear leaf springs including all hardware (Mustangs Plus)
*560lb 1" front coil springs (aka 620's)
*Adjustable Monte Carlo Bar (Street or Track)

I'll be picking up the leafs, coils, shocks and swaybar directly from M+ during our NorCal *othersite*party this next month.

Can't say for sure that I'll be staying with the above shocks and expect to experiment, but it's a good start and I can get it on the road.

You should really consider a rear sway bar on to compensate for the huge front bar. With nothing in the back, you're likely to see a fair amount of understeer.

With nothing in the back, you're likely to see a fair amount of understeer.

Agreed, that is the theory. With a larger front bar, a rear bar should be used.

.... but at what point is this noticable? Under normal driving conditions? Or under hard track use?

Thinking out loud.... if you're installing a 1.125" front bar..... you're looking to minimize/eliminate any front-end body roll while in a hard corner. A hard corner IMO is not "normal driving conditions", therefore a rear bar should also be used or else the rear of the car will want to "roll" or "sway" while in the corner.

I'm just not sure at what point all of this comes into play. I'll bet the track guys could talk about this for hours.

I would venture to guess most of the "track" guys will say they only use the rear bar at the track as its too harsh for daily driving.

Shoot me a PM Craig, I got a set of KYBs still in the box as well as a rear bar set up.......... ;)

For "regular" daily driving, I'd recommend a 15/16" bar (what I'm using) in the front and no rear bar. That said, I do get a noticeable bit of understeer. When I really start getting into things, I'll probably upgrade to a 1-1/8" bar up front and small rear bar. The car will probably be a little twitchier, but it'll handle better:)

Back