• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Upgrade headlight bulbs

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
My wife is complaining the OEM bulbs in her 2000 coupe are too dim (especially at night in the rain). Any suggestions? She doesn't like the 'blue' tinted lights.

Several say the sylvania silverstars are good....just not sure of the color. Are the lens clear as they tend to fog over as they age. Also, if it has tinted housings, even the factory ones, that can reduce the light.

If they take a 9006 and have the glare shield in front of the bulb, as they don't have the black tip the 9006 do and will blind oncoming w/o this shield. I switched another car to the Phillips HIR2 9012 bulb and saw a ~50% improvement in road coverage. I had a hard time telling when my driving lights/fogs were turned on the new 9012's filled in so much space. You have to snip one little plastic tab to get them to plug in but it's easy to see which one when you get the old 9006's out.

I plan to change out my other cars as one burns out they work so well. If they fit my '05 Escape I'll change both soon.
Jon

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that the OEM lenses have started to cloud but I polished them up a couple of years ago. Im thinking of installing some replacement lenses soon if the bulb upgrade isn't as bright as I am hoping for.

Back