• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Used air compressor suggestions

blu67

I'm finding more and more that I am in need of an air compressor on my project. I borrowed my dad's 15 gallon Craftsman but the die grinder just doesn't last long enough to make it worth my while. I have been looking at new and used 60-80 gal. tanks. While it won't see heavy use, I do need to have the tool last longer than 2 minutes before it starts to slow down towards uselessness...

Any suggestions as to what to watch out for on used compressors? Found some good prices but the HP, engine type and PSI are all over the place. Not sure what to look for and what to avoid.

Smallest tank to consider would be 60 gal. 80+ is much better. Get a 2 stage vertical 60-80 gal and you will be set. Can run air tools without too much trouble and more than enough for spraying or even moderate sand blasting. Being vertical it take up a lot less room in the garage. Park it in a corner and you won't even know it's there when not running.

I'd avoid any Chinese stuff (Harbor Freight) if you can. You can get lucky just as you can get real crap. For a home shop a Husky from Lowes or similar from HD does very well. I've used my for going on a decade now, sometimes rather heavily for days on end without an issue. Just change the oil every few years and never worry about it. Oh, and drain the water from the damn tank from time to time to keep it from rusting out. Amazing how many people fail to do such basic stuff.

Oh, and drain the water from the damn tank from time to time to keep it from rusting out. Amazing how many people fail to do such basic stuff.

Thank you for the reminder. Have not done that in awhile. But we also do not have the humidity that some places have.

fd

Smallest tank to consider would be 60 gal. 80+ is much better. Get a 2 stage vertical 60-80 gal and you will be set. Can run air tools without too much trouble and more than enough for spraying or even moderate sand blasting. Being vertical it take up a lot less room in the garage. Park it in a corner and you won't even know it's there when not running.

I'd avoid any Chinese stuff (Harbor Freight) if you can. You can get lucky just as you can get real crap. For a home shop a Husky from Lowes or similar from HD does very well. I've used my for going on a decade now, sometimes rather heavily for days on end without an issue. Just change the oil every few years and never worry about it. Oh, and drain the water from the damn tank from time to time to keep it from rusting out. Amazing how many people fail to do such basic stuff.
Agree with all- but I put two timers on the lines in my shop to drain the lines automatically- but I tied them to the compressor's power so they are only on when the compressor is.

For the really lazy, just wire up an automatic valve to drain the tank whenever the compressor is run and then shut off. Simple to do and the cheapest and most effective. Hell, I'm sure somebody makes one already. I'll have to look.

I managed to pick up a 60 gallon from home depot a few months back. Got a pretty good deal. Around $400 out the door. I looked for a used one for quite awhile and most you find are pretty old/rough shape or the person wants 90% of the retail price.

Theres always a sale somewhere. Just determine what your main uses and goals for a compressor are and keep your eyes peeled for that deal that meets all your criteria.

As for numbers, anything that can do more then 10 cfm@90 psi will do pretty much anything you need in a home shop. Blasting cabinets and painting are pretty much the only 2 things that will need anything higher.

I also have the Home Depot Husky ~$500, 60 gallon compressor. Going on about 12 years with it. Its not 2 stage, but is 2 cylinder and runs on 220V.
While 2 stage might be better, it has no problem keeping my air tools running. I think my blast cabinet is the biggest air hog... the trick there is just to regulate the air pressure down to 80 PSI or so. It still blasts very well, but not wasting air.

I'm in the market for another compressor for my other garage and it will either be another husky 60 gallon, or Dewalt 60 gallon which looks comparable to the husky.
Keep in mind these larger compressors don't come with any fittings or regulators and also require 220V, so be sure to factor that into your budget.

Another way to "cheat" is to plumb a secondary tank into the system. You can find used tanks of various sizes fairly easily. Or pick up a dead compressor and use that tank.
2 stage compressors are mainly about efficiency and reduced wear. Single stage units are fine for most home use especially if it has multiple cylinders. I came across an industrial quality 2 stage 80 gal vertical today during my routine scouring or for sale postings. At an asking price of $1000 if it's in good shape would be a steal.

Back