• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vintage Air Gen IV

sigtauenus

[size=small]Overall very, very pleased with the Vintage Air Gen IV system for the 68. Entire project took about 10 hours total to do spread out over several weeks as time permitted. [/size]

[size=small]The conversion kit I got was for 68 mustang with factory air conditioning because I wanted to use the original dash pieces and control panel.[/size]

[size=small]Out of the box the kit was very easy to work with, very detailed instructions, and everything was designed very well to work with the car. Every hole lined up exact, with all of the mounting points through the firewall or radiator support lining up as advertised. [/size]

[size=small]The system is now fully installed, charged, and fully functional. I put an automotive thermometer in the center and left vents and both showed 40* F coming from the vent with the A/C on. Air flow is very strong in both heat and cool. [/size]

[size=small]Again, I'm very, very pleased with this kit, and would highly recommend this to anybody considering an a/c conversion.
[/size]

[size=small]PICS:[/size]

[size=small]Here is the kit out of the box (3).
427_02_10_10_9_19_33_2.jpg

Got the kit with a V-M group buy, roughly 15% off. Compressor is an actual Sanden unit vice a knock-off. Evaporator is all electronic controls and there is a modification kit for the factory a/c control panel that allows the a/c and heat to work per the factory labels on the control panel.

So far the kit seems to be well designed specifically to the Mustang, but there are still a couple areas with room for improvement. I don't care for their compressor mount, so I used the factory brackets and idler pulley with an adapter bracket. They also didn't provide a compressor belt or instructions for how to incorporate the compressor pulley into the existing pulley system. No extra pulleys, idlers, or brackets were provided other than the compressor mounting bracket. I bought a standard 68 A/C belt which worked just fine.

Only needed items to a complete install is the belt as mentioned, some sealant for the firewall plate and cowl block-off plate, and you will need to take 3 hoses to get the fittings crimped after you cut them to fit.

[/size]
[size=small]Condenser and dryer
427_02_10_10_9_19_33_0.jpg

427_02_10_10_9_19_33_1.jpg

[/size]
[size=small]Evaporator box prepped for install
427_02_10_10_9_19_33_3.jpg
[/size]

[size=small]Old firewall, nothing installed yet.
427_02_10_10_4_56_34_0.jpg

Evaporator installed with lines through firewall. You can see how the heater hose holes and old heater box mounting holes were re-used. There are two other mounting points that used factory a/c holes and they also lined up perfectly.
427_02_10_10_4_56_34_2.jpg

Evaporator under the dash. Need to clean up the wiring but that's just winding stuff up, zip tying it, and tucking it under nicely.

427_02_10_10_4_56_34_1.jpg

New controls. Install went very nice and easy, clear instructions. All controls electronic. Even the calibration of the control panel is electronic. Unfortunately they missed a lever on the initial package that was sent to me. I realized this over a weekend, called on Monday, and on Wednesday the missing part was in my mailbox. Good customer service so far.

427_02_10_10_4_56_34_3.jpg

[/size]
[size=small]Compressor and lines/hoses installed[/size]
[size=small]

[/size]
[size=small]Evaporator with all the wires tucked away.

[/size]
[size=small]Hoses and wires routed and tidy.

[/size]
[size=small]Factory A/C control panel with new levers and variable resistors vice cables to control all the flapper doors.

[/size]

Back