• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vintage Air "sure fit"

A

Anonymous

Vintage Air "sure fit", close (but no cigar)
Just installed the Vintage Air "sure fit" on the 65 and I'll have give them a 2 out of 5. The heater and A/C ports don't match up well with the holes in the firewall. Some bending of the delicate copper tubing is necessary. Also getting one of the nuts on is a PITA (the rear most support strap) and a better design could have been used (may cost a dollar or two more). The length of the A/C lines is very limited and one is close to hitting the alternator pulley (pressure line). Another inch or two would have helped give some needed clearence. One of the cable retainers was broke on the unit and the screw had been stripped. No way was I about to take this thing back out and go thru the struggle to get that darn nut on again. I was able to modify one of the OEM Ford retainers to work. Some of the install difficulty may have just been my lack of experience, but its not my first go around at building cars or installing Heat and A/C units. Just with their product. I guess I should have done more homework first and plan in the future to go with just a generic "no-name" aftermarket unit, and make it up as I go. Seems I have better luck and can save a few hundred bucks along the way. Maybe I was expecting too much. They may gain a point (or lose one) after I'm able to start it up and flip the switch. But that is to be.

[Edited title to be more neutral, but included original at top of post. Midlife]

Any update on this? How does the air work? I'm still debating doing the original, using this kit, or a competitor's kit.

I installed [deleted by Midlife --- someone else's] in-dash system in my 69 coupe. There were a few small issues, but overall it was a good fit. They had just begun selling the system as a kit and were working out some bugs. Been on the car for over 4 years now and no problems. I would use them again.

I also used [edited by Midlife --- someone else's] air. Since I've never installed an AC unit, I can't compare, but would like to have helped you just to see what was involved to make a just comparison. I have yet to use my system ~ I'm waiting on a vacuum pump from harbor freight, so it shouldn't be too long. I would hate to know that I'd have to take the underdash unit out! If it ever messed up :barf, I think I'd just roll my windows down! however, I am impressed with the fitment of the AC hoses, looks like a factory system! For the price, I'd expect it to install itself! :craz
dne'

"sigtauenus" said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I see a Midlife edit here shortly.

You got that right. Please folks, do not use competitor's names in a thread. This keeps the forum out of any possible legal troubles.

"Midlife" said:
You got that right. Please folks, do not use competitor's names in a thread. This keeps the forum out of any possible legal troubles.

Sorry :shy

I've never been jumped on before~ I feel really bad! :cry I just wanted to be included in this thread!
:nta

"Dne'" said:
I've never been jumped on before~ I feel really bad! :cry I just wanted to be included in this thread!
:nta

Talk real sweet to hubby tonite...and mention my name...he might jump on you.

Back