• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Welding help

blu67

Going to weld the new lowered seat risers to the floor pan but I believe that the seat risers are a different gauge (18ga) than the floor pan (I believe it is 20ga?) I've practiced on sheet metal of the same gauge but not of two different gauges.

Any tips so I don't blow through the floor and make a big mess? I will be spot welding through holes drilled in the riser flanges (similar to original rather than along the flange edge)

Start on the thicker metal and work inwards on thinner metal. A copper or bronze backing plate will help in preventing blowouts.

Start on the thicker metal and work inwards on thinner metal. A copper or bronze backing plate will help in preventing blowouts.
I've thought of this as well but haven't tried it yet. I have some copper, so hopefully I can massage it to fit in the bead rolled areas of the floor pan where we are welding.

You're over-thinking it. If you were trying to weld 20 ga to some 1/4" it can be a bit touchy but 18/20 is not a big deal. Plus, you're just doing basic "rosette" type spot welding. Like Randy wrote, you start at the edge with your torch favoring the heavier side and work around to fill the circle. Just give one a shot and you'll see it's no big deal. Set your rig up for the lighter side of settings for 18 ga and give it a go.

You're over-thinking it. If you were trying to weld 20 ga to some 1/4" it can be a bit touchy but 18/20 is not a big deal. Plus, you're just doing basic "rosette" type spot welding. Like Randy wrote, you start at the edge with your torch favoring the heavier side and work around to fill the circle. Just give one a shot and you'll see it's no big deal. Set your rig up for the lighter side of settings for 18 ga and give it a go.
I probably am overthinking it a bit.....

Back