• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Welding where roof and quarter overlap....

manley

Ford used a series of large spot welds to mate the roof to the quarter panel on my 69 Mach. I have seen guys weld along the entire edge of the exposed edge of the roof flange. Is this necessary/recommended? Do you think the edge will flex enough to cause the filler and paint to crack over time?

Personally I think it's cheap insurance... I thought I may have welded the entire seem on mine, but the only pics I have show the plug welds and a series of staggered 1" long welds along the lapped joint. It can't hurt...

If i were to do it again, I would do what Rusty's (GPR) does on their restorations and weld a patch over the entire joint so there is virtualy no filler to worry about.

"stangg" said:
If i were to do it again, I would do what Rusty's (GPR) does on their restorations and weld a patch over the entire joint so there is virtualy no filler to worry about.

+2

Thanks guys. I'll hit it again next time I'm welding. Currently I'm getting the RH wheelhouses and quarter installed. If everything goes right, I might get all that wrapped up tonight, which means I'll be ready to put the car on the rotisserie to take care of all the welding on the bottom I haven't been able to do yet. So awesome to be almost done with all the major panel replacement!

Back