• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Welding

I decided to do it already. After a while of practicing, and getting very inconsistent results (at best) I decided I'm taking a welding course at the community college near my house. Starts in February. Then hopefully I can start piecing my car back together. Wish me luck!

Gotta start somewhere......just be sure to ask lots of questions concerning thin materials..... Good luck.

Good decision and keep us posted regarding tips and tricks for welding body panels.

I will definitely be asking about thin materials, plug welding, butt welding, all the essentials we need to build our cars.

Good choice! I did that back in 2001 before plunking down good money on a welder. The local VoTech school offered night classes. The instructor knew how to MIG weld, just not 19 gauge metals. Once he showed me the basics, I had to procure 0.025" wire for the machine and supply my own thin metals. Basically, the instructor just left me alone to experiment, and I got better than he was with thin stuff.

What I did learn was this: there were some days when I couldn't weld a damn thing at all and just had to walk away from it. Other days, I was perfect and could do no wrong. When things are going bad, ask the instructor about techniques: there are four things that you can change (angle of tip, distance from the work, voltage, wire current feed speed) that give you a wide range of working conditions. If you screw one up and don't compensate, then nothing will work!

"Midlife" said:
What I did learn was this: there were some days when I couldn't weld a damn thing at all and just had to walk away from it. Other days, I was perfect and could do no wrong. When things are going bad, ask the instructor about techniques: there are four things that you can change (angle of tip, distance from the work, voltage, wire current feed speed) that give you a wide range of working conditions. If you screw one up and don't compensate, then nothing will work!

Randy ya forgot one additional thing (that matters, and you can change), how fast you move the gun along the weld. :char

Yup...there's at least 5 variables...but I can't count when I'm inebr...blas...drunk.

Back