• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Well, my paint job is a wreck.

I'm in the process of doing a restoration on my 67 CV, and due to unforeseen problems, the paint leaves a lot to be desired. There is dust and a general dullness to the color (Candy Apple).There is a clear coat on the car.
Aside from strangling the painter, is there anything that I can do to augment the finish? Is buffing advisable?
Thanks in advance for any help.

You don't give much to go on but in general, yes you can probably improve the appearance by means of sanding and buffing.

What product was used?

How many coats of clear?

Pictures would help. Take some close ups.

Maybe try wet sanding followed by some good buffing? I heard that can do wonders and make things really shine.

While we are waiting for more info from you I'll also ask about your painter. Was your car shot by a shop or at least experienced painter or was this a "do it yourself" type affair? I'm wondering as well if it was sprayed in line with the product tech sheets, particularly in regards to flash times, etc.

It was a pro painter but we had two problems (compressor and then a mistake whereby dust got on one panel).
Three coats of base, three coats of clear, and certain parts are actually VERY nice, sorry I was vague as to the details.
I am mostly concerned with the safety of buffing as opposed to color sanding.

BC/CC is a very forgiving paint system. Unless your painter has "mad skilz", it's likely that wet sanding and buffing the CC will be required to get the best possible shine. It's rare that a painter is able to paint an entire car that doesn't need to to be wet sanded/buffed on some area of the car. I've never painted a car that didn't need to be wet sanded and buffed.

Wet sanding/buffing is a simple process, but can take some time, especially when working on and around "corners". It's very easy to quickly "burn through" the CC (and the BC) on corners/sharp edges. Work slowly and carefully on these areas.

Was your painter paid for this work? If he was paid with the understanding that he would be doing all of the work, then it should be his responsibility to wet sand/buff areas that didn't come out perfectly. He painted over a dent? I'm an ametuer "home" painter and the only way it's possible I'd paint over a dent is if I didn't feel like fixing it, but I sure as heck would have known the dent was there before I started. If a "professional" painter tells you he "didn't see the dent until after the car was painted".... he's either lying to you or he's not much of a professional painter.

A little sanding and buffing is, as Dave points out, pretty much normal practice. It not only smooths out any orange peel but also can deal with any dust specks that almost every paint job will have. I'm still wondering about the "dullness" you describe. Even a poorly applied BC/CC is going to be shiny. That's what a clear does. I asked about flash times because if you spray too soon between coats/products and not allow the solvents to escape you can end up with something akin to what you are describing.

Dave,

Where are you reading something about a dent? Either you are confusing posts or I am more tired than I thought.

Dave has the gift of being able to read between threads!

Back OT, It's normal to cut and buff BC/CC. You will be amazed what it looks like after that! A monkey can make Lacquer and BC/CC look good.

On all our collision work we spray three coats of clear, then color sand and buff. I have found even the most seasoned painters have buffer marks, It is a art especially for black my favorite color to spray. Now on our overall paint jobs we do 3 coats of clear, then next day color sand with 600 and three more coats of clear and color sand and buff the next day.
Rich.

Dave,

Where are you reading something about a dent? Either you are confusing posts or I am more tired than I thought.

Whoops. Scanning, and not reading the original post I mistook "dust" for "dent". Sorry 'bout that!

Thanks for the advice, progress is being made! I put several hours into one quarter panel and it looks surprisingly better. I'm really pleased with the 3M Perfecta for buffing, it seems to get a uniform look with a decent depth.
Compared to what it was, it's nothing short of a miracle. :good

"bluegrassg8r" said:
Thanks for the advice, progress is being made! I put several hours into one quarter panel and it looks surprisingly better. I'm really pleased with the 3M Perfecta for buffing, it seems to get a uniform look with a decent depth.
Compared to what it was, it's nothing short of a miracle. :good

:WOP

Back