• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What are my options

I need to find an alternative to the positive side of the solenoid. I have a one wire alternator and a mini starter, I'm running out of room on the positive side for terminal lugs and I still need to install the relays for the headlights and fan. Should I run a bus off the POS side? Anyone have any other ideas?

5, maybe 6, I have to two or three from the factory harness, one from alt, POS battery, one for the starter and one more IIRC (the MSD box, for now).

The POS battery can be tapped, as well as the alternator battery post. Why not, you say? It's the same voltage!

Run a new BUS circuit from which you can pull the relays/MSD power from.

I've got pictures of the ones I installed in both my and my sons car. Pretty simple stuff.

Your solenoid is still in the engine compartment, right?
Even if it's not, you can use these types of terminal blocks.
I got a couple of these but am not really happy with the disorganized look of all the wires.
cn-1_s14.jpg

I subsequently got some like this, but haven't put them to use yet:
6YH64.JPG

"joesgt281" said:
Your solenoid is still in the engine compartment, right?
Even if it's not, you can use these types of terminal blocks.
I got a couple of these but am not really happy with the disorganized look of all the wires.
cn-1_s14.jpg

I subsequently got some like this, but haven't put them to use yet:
6YH64.JPG

Yes, its still in the engine bay.

That top one could be pretty slick, looks like you could almost use the same mounting holes as the solenoid and let it hang underneath it, out of the way.

True.
I got them from www.Madelectrical.com
It's a great source for automotive electrical stuff.
If you get his tech book, he may convince you to move your solenoid to the trunk.
I ended following his guidance for my install.

How did you route the wires from the harness (stock location) to the solenoid in the trunk? Did you just extend them from the engine bay and route them back or undo the whole harness and route them from under the dash to the trunk?

Located directly underneath the MSD box and forward of the starter solenoid I installed a fused BUS terminal. I think I paid $5 for it at Autozone. Power for the new terminal is pulled straight from the starter solenoid and allowed me to run four new (fused) circuits without having to tie them directly onto the starter solenoid.

I'm only using 3 circuits in this photo, but this was an "in-progress" photo and I'm using all 4 now.

000_0305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For mine, I used two terminal blocks on the front radiator support so my battery apron area is basically clear.
I have two 8 gauge wires that run from there into the fenderwell, then into the interior just above the a/c box, into the kick panel structure, through the door sill, up over the rear wheel well, and back to the trunk distribution area.
The alternator connects to one through a 100A fuse, and that powers most accessories and charges the battery.
The other goes to the switched side of the electric cutoff switch sticking out the back of the car (when not racing, this is just normally closed (ie, ON)). So when it's opened, it kills the main electric feed (like was originally on the solenoid up front), shutting off the ignition, fuel pump, etc.

Nice work Dave. I think I'll go with the fused BUS strip as well...that will clean things up even more.

Thanks for all the input guys. Joe, I found your picture from the relay post. I think the pics of your setup as well as Daves has given me a pretty good idea of what I need to do. I appreciate it.

78_16_12_08_7_54_34_1.jpg

Did I mention that was a TEMPORARY layout!! lol
Please don't judge my skillz based on that pic!!!
Cuz it actually DOES work :danc

Good luck with the project!

Thanks, I'm still curious about the ignition wires, do they run to the trunk from the engine bay or from the drivers compartment?

"Fast68back" said:
Thanks, I'm still curious about the ignition wires, do they run to the trunk from the engine bay or from the drivers compartment?

I run an MSD box like Dave and there's a heavy red "hot" wire, as well as a smaller wire that you feed from the ignition switch.
I believe in the stock setup, the ignition switch is hot to one side, fed from that post on the solenoid.
And in my case it's basically the same, except my "post" is one of those terminal blocks, which is connected hot from the battery except when the cutoff switch is open. And like stock, I use the ignition key to turn the MSD box on (kinda like going to the coil in the stock setup).
Said another way, my terminal block replicates the hot post on the solenoid that the heavy battery cable would attach to, except my heavy battery cable goes directly to the mini starter and my terminal block is fed from the 8 gage wire. This wire, btw, is protected by a fusible link coming off the battery in the trunk. So any issue of danger from running a hot lead the length of the car is mitigated.
I'm not sure if that was what you were really asking for.
I've been meaning to sketch up a schematic but, well, you know how it goes :punch

Back