• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What filler putty

Rob Z

I have been cleaning the engine compartment and fender areas for painting. There are several areas that had large holes/gaps filled with putty from Ford. Asside from ordering the putty sticks from someplace like NPD where and what are Y'all using? Is there a product that the local parts houses carry that works?

Thanks

I've been buying most of my major paint supplies from smartshoppersinc or tcpglobal. Even with shipping, it's a LOT cheaper than smalll-town NAPA price$. We bought a gallon of Evercoat Rage Gold last year and it is much nicer to deal with than Bondo-brand.

That said, large holes? I'd be interested to see some pics...body filler isn't really meant to fill holes.

Might have not explained well enough.

This is the putty used to fill gaps between body panels. One area is where the firewall / front clip / fender meet. There is a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap which Ford filled with a type of putty.

I'll post a pic tonight.

filled with a type of putty.

Yes, that's not a "bondo" area.... it's a seam sealer area. Seam sealer is the product you are asking about and it's available from 3M at most auto paint supply stores.

Thanks Dave,

It helps to explain things so others know what is rattleing around in ones head :ep

I started using this but it dries, shrinks and cracks. Not a fan of it.
4140.gif

I switched to the Urethane sealer and very pleased with it! You need a gun for it but your auto body supplier should loan you one.
3m-08360-ultrapro-sealer.gif

This stuff is DA BOMB! The gun is pretty cheap if you look on amazon. I got mine through a paint store and they shafted me a teeny bit :scar

My parts store gave me mine....(they should since my business spends over 2K a month there)

Must say, I'm really impressed with how that stuff works though!

that "sausage pack" 3M urethane sealer is good. i used it until i switched to the SEM 2 part epoxy seam sealer. it's not just "da bomb" its "da :fbomb"...

if anyone needs to borrow the gun for the sausage pack sealer, i've got one hanging up out in the shop that i only use installing glass (the w/s urethane sealer i use comes packaged in foil too).

"RyanG85" said:
My parts store gave me mine....(they should since my business spends over 2K a month there)

Must say, I'm really impressed with how that stuff works though!

+

solvent.jpg

=nice smooth seams.

Took some pics today of the ares I'm speaking of. Both of thee are located on the front clip at the firewall under the fender.

Let me know if the 3M will handle these. The original putty was very firm and off white (under the undercoating).

Thanks All :10

4593606167_8c63e38b5a.jpg

4594222624_1761c21bf0.jpg

I used 3M seamsealer and afterwards I used a brush with strong haires ( nylon) and went over the sealer when its still fresh to have a nice touch.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
that "sausage pack" 3M urethane sealer is good. i used it until i switched to the SEM 2 part epoxy seam sealer. it's not just "da bomb" its "da :fbomb"...

I second the SEM stuff. They offer various products for specific uses and flow rates, etc. It costs a bit more but like everything else...you get what you pay for. This is the place I get my stuff. Prices are usually the best and they have it IN STOCK almost every time I need something. Great service as well.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/search/search.aspx?page=3&keywords=sem

Back