• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What is it? Reinforcement?

manley

I don't think I've ever noticed these panels in another car. And, I can't remember what was bolted to the the rectangular pieces that have two threaded studs protruding to the underside of the car with a small screw holding it in place in the middle. I'm thinking it may be for the dual exhaust hangers? Is the additional piece of sheet metal there as reinforcement for the floor?

500-051210112859.jpeg

500-051210112812.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
never seen this.
Are the plates spotwelded inplace like from the factory??

Those extra panels are indeed reinforcements. Many people mistakenly report they were installed in every dual exhaust equipped car. My '66 GT never received them (demonstrating once again never use absolute terms when it comes to Mustangs!). The small rectangles with the bolts were the brackets for the muffler hangars on dual exhaust cars.

Thanks guys! I think most of the cars I've looked at were not factory dual exhaust cars. Now I have to figure out if the two brackets are reproduced. Or find a way to replace the studs since all four of them snapped off. The reinforcement panels are spot welded in.

yes they are reproduced. for reference NPD indicates 5B236-1A for a 69/70 351W 4V, 390 4V and GT-350. it's called Retainer, Muffler Hanger, on Floor.

Back