• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What the heck?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
The backup light bulb called for is a 1156 (single element) bulb with posts of equal position, which fits perfect once in place, BUT the question is why are there two spring loaded contacts inside the socket? The 1156 bulb has a single centered contact.

Fords "Better idea"........ I would say, since the single element bulb works in the dual socket it was simply to save costs of another part.

Those take a double contact bulb, or at least in my '66 they do. I believe there is an external ground wire on the b/u light system. There is a special number which escapes my memory now.

NPD calls for an 1142.

If you look at the schematics, you will find that one of the posts leads to the black wire, which plugs into a ground. For some reason, Ford found it necessary to ground them at the tail light housings. Using the single pole bulb is a very common mistake people make and end up wondering why they blow a fuse or melt a wire.

Damn, You're starting to sound like Midlife. Compliment? That's up for discussion.......

But thanks anyway. My local NAPA has them in stock.

"cmayna" said:
Damn, You're starting to sound like Midlife. Compliment? That's up for discussion.......

But thanks anyway. My local NAPA has them in stock.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Back