• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whats it worth.

lethal289

Today at work, im talking to a guy about my need for a 9" rear end for the 67. He tells me of a buddy who is the original owner of a 69 mach 1 undergoing a full concourse resto, and recalls one lying around the shop. He gives the guy a call and indeed he has a complete extra housing drum to drum with a chunk. Apparently it was out of a '68 Fastback he used to own. It was removed sometime ago ~ 15 years maybe. Its a little bit out in the country, so i wont be able to go see until sometime next week. The gearing is open and he thinks the ratio is 3.25. He told me to come take a look and make him an offer. :wtf Is this worth? Ive done a lot of looking locally and havent found a direct replacement yet. Ive seen ones that needed removed from parts cars in the area of 250 bucks. I searched on ebay and found a lot of varying information.

If this thing has sat for some time, Am i right in assuming that its basicly a core and needs totally overhauled? I probably would want to freshen it up anyway, but whats the going rate that you guys have seen or payed?

E bay has totally restored housings for $1,250.00 and old housing only for $275.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-65-66-67-68-MUSTANG-FORD-9-INCH-REAR-END-HOTROD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e569bf67dQQitemZ130302080637QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1670wt_732

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-9-IN-REAR-END-HOUSING-63-64-GALAXIE-67-MUSTANG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem45ee367772QQitemZ300349290354QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_975

Thanks in Advance.

"lethal289" said:
Today at work, im talking to a guy about my need for a 9" rear end for the 67. He tells me of a buddy who is the original owner of a 69 mach 1 undergoing a full concourse resto, and recalls one lying around the shop. He gives the guy a call and indeed he has a complete extra housing drum to drum with a chunk. Apparently it was out of a '68 Fastback he used to own. It was removed sometime ago ~ 15 years maybe. Its a little bit out in the country, so i wont be able to go see until sometime next week. The gearing is open and he thinks the ratio is 3.25. He told me to come take a look and make him an offer. :wtf Is this worth? Ive done a lot of looking locally and havent found a direct replacement yet. Ive seen ones that needed removed from parts cars in the area of 250 bucks. I searched on ebay and found a lot of varying information.

If this thing has sat for some time, Am i right in assuming that its basicly a core and needs totally overhauled? I probably would want to freshen it up anyway, but whats the going rate that you guys have seen or payed?

E bay has totally restored housings for $1,250.00 and old housing only for $275.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-65-66-67-68-MUSTANG-FORD-9-INCH-REAR-END-HOTROD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e569bf67dQQitemZ130302080637QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1670wt_732

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-9-IN-REAR-END-HOUSING-63-64-GALAXIE-67-MUSTANG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem45ee367772QQitemZ300349290354QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_975

Thanks in Advance.

I would not worry too much about overhauling it unless it's been sitting opened up. Otherwise, buy it, put it in and drive it. If it makes noise, find out what it is and fix that.

first you have to see the thing, find out how complete it is. Does it come with brakes that are complete and functional? (not that you'd reuse the shoes, but you want to have all the parts in place). how does the outer surface look? clean, or excessively rusty...

I needed that brace that separates the shoes for an 8" rear, ended up getting a whole complete rear for $50.

if that 9"er is complete and in fair shape, I'd probably start at $150.... maybe less depending on conversation with the seller. remember, you can always increase your offer to meet his expectations, can't go the other way

you can always increase your offer to meet his expectations, can't go the other way

My sentiments exactly.

After driving up there (with the means to load it up and haul it away), I'd spend 95% of the time talking to the owner about his rotisserie restoration and then 5% non-chalantly kicking the drum to drum 9" rearend around with my foot feigning disinterest while offering him $50 because it's likely not a 31 spline locker.

If he balks, ask him what kind of money he had in mind.

If it's been "sitting around the shop for 15 years", the guy likely isn't strapped for cash and more likely is tired of tripping over it and will be glad when it's gone at any price.

Thanks for the good suggestions guys. I thought that a decent core was worth more then that. A few weeks ago i was interested in a 73 9" that was in the 2 -300 dollar range. Im by no means desperate for this so i wont pay over and above a good value, i just wanted to find out what a decent value was. I figured a complete rear end should be around the 300 mark, but apparently less?

"lethal289" said:
I figured a complete rear end should be around the 300 mark, but apparently less?

No way I would sell a drum-to-drum 9" for less than $300. I'd continue tripping over it until I got at least that much.bi

Your problem, unless you have nothing at all now, is you don't need a drum-to-drum. You need only the housing and chunk, unless it's a 31 spline, then you'd need axles, too. So you probably only want the 2 pieces and he may be wanting to get $ for all the pieces. If it's a 31 spline (unlikely), plan on at least $400 just for the axles. Don't ask me why, but used 31 spline axles sell for ridiculous money and are usually cheaper to get new.

Back