• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whats this about?

Someone in the Government wants to pass a law stating the owner of a new car cannot work on it nor change it. Thus cancelling any need for parts companies like Summit

So many computers in new cars that OEMs do not want their software compromised.

That sucks. The cars are expensive enough without forcing you into high repair cost on top.

As for more performence.
I don't think alot will change for petrol cars. There are plenty of people out there then can remap the ecu of the motor.
As for EV cars, that will come too , but will take time as its more complex due to batterymanagement if taken seriously.
Is there some kind of scrutenering by the governement? Like MOT in the UK ?
If not that will change alot !!
30 years ago I was in Florida and saw some cars on the public road that won't be allowed on our roads !!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Someone in the Government wants to pass a law stating the owner of a new car cannot work on it nor change it. Thus cancelling any need for parts companies like Summit
No, actually this seems to be a push to ALLOW owners to repair and modify their own cars. It sounds like a Right To Repair law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_repair

The other ones seek to overturn Gavin Newsome's ban on ICE vehicles after 2035 and prevent the federal government from doing away with ICE vehicles as well.

Last edited:
Each state has its own vehicle requirements. Missouri needed annual inspections which basically checked that there were tires and your bumper wasn't falling off. California has emissions test which is good for a couple years. Unless you buy new then the test is required years down the road. I've been driving the Vette since 2015 and still have not been required to have it tested. Most are basically just another annual tax with meaningless safety concerns. California has cleaned up the air because of it. There is a cut off date for our emissions test..1972 (?) and there was a law stating a 25 years rolling cut off date but they stopped that since there are lots of 25 yo cars ON the road.

We only have emissions testing in certain counties in Wisconsin. 7 out of 72 counties.

Up by me there is nothing, but the bigger cities like Milwaukee have to get tested.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

In short we have,
Emission test for all cars under 30 years.
Function and adjustment of all lights.
Brakes and shocks absorber test.
All suspension joints under load.
Tires , seize and depht of thread.
No body alternation allowed.
No suspension lowering. A bit can be granted but it has limits.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Back