• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wheel studs

RapidRabbit

Donator
Hey guys, quick question

I'm putting in my new rear axle and I need new lug nut studs. I don't need race quality high end stuff either. Just stock replacement.

I'm can't seem to find a straight answer on size. It's for a 70 8" 28 spline rear axle with drum brakes.

Any info would help

Thanks.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Should be able to get them at a normal auto parts store. Just 1/2-20 size thread with a .625 knurl section. Length is likely standard too if you've never messed with them due to changing of brake parts, etc. Want to say its about 1 5/8" shank or so. NAPA is a good place to find 'em.

Should be able to get them at a normal auto parts store. Just 1/2-20 size thread with a .625 knurl section. Length is likely standard too if you've never messed with them due to changing of brake parts, etc. Want to say its about 1 5/8" shank or so. NAPA is a good place to find 'em.
Thanks Terry.

I was just seeing a lot of different stuff out there. Wanted to be sure.

I picked some up from Napa this morning.

I Took the axle to have the bearings pressed on and the 2 new rear tires mounted this morning.

Verify the bearing lock rings are pressed on and there isn't knurl protruding past the axle flange. Good luck with the project!

I got the able back this morning. Going to install it on Monday.

Dumb question, but this gasket needs to go on right? There wasn't one on there when I took the old axle off.
5f1294c33dc8929481aa4517f3067723.jpg
b6adeac9d275cda95993bdd2ff23ae46.jpg
db10a66aa88b4bf5bfdd6be5b43c7761.jpg
918c78cd066e1fc21f715168dd403866.jpg

Nicely done. The gasket helps control the flinging of any gear oil that gets by the bearing clearance and directs it down and contains it. Often people use silicone instead but I prefer regular gasket material. In the past in some applications I built special retainers that sealed out water/moisture as well. Not necessary for regular automotive use.

Last edited:
Back