• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whew, cowl looks to be OK

steveh326

I got to put a good weekend in working on the mustang this past weekend. part of that was an inspection of the tophats in the cowl... aside from some light surface rust they appear to be solid. Man, is that a load off my mind. Now I just have to formulate a plan to get some POR15 up in there coating everything. I can reach up from under the dash and get my hand thru the tophat from the inside, just not sure how much i can maneuver once my hand is in there. thinking about one of those painters mitts that you wear like a glove and dip directly into the paint, used mostly for painting spindles on railings. Will search the forum for any other creative solutions. I did read somewhere bout cutting into the side of the cowl under the fender area for access, then patching it back up... that might be a good option for me as well.

I've heard of folks using a long thin tube with holes all around it to get up into the cowl to paint it. I bet you can do the same with POR15.

A flexible wand gun obtained via Eastwood will do wonders. It's also good to shoot the inside of the front and rear frame rails with your favorite rust ecapsulant paint.

Also is there a rubber plug on the side of cowl of a 66 as there is on a 65? Many have attached a small sponge (acting like a brush) on the end of a stiff wire, running through the hole on the side.

"cmayna" said:
A flexible wand gun obtained via Eastwood will do wonders. It's also good to shoot the inside of the front and rear frame rails with your favorite rust ecapsulant paint.

Also is there a rubber plug on the side of cowl of a 66 as there is on a 65? Many have attached a small sponge (acting like a brush) on the end of a stiff wire, running through the hole on the side.

yes same rubber plug on the 66 for some access. I'll check out the flexible wand today, thanks.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I've heard of folks using a long thin tube with holes all around it to get up into the cowl to paint it. I bet you can do the same with POR15.

another good idea, thanks !

man, wouldn't it be nice to plug the drain holes on the sides, then dump in however many gallons of POR15 down thru the vents until it fills the cowl to the top of the tophats. let it sit/seep in for an hour, then unplug the drains to let the excess drain out... hey, I can dream... lol.

I don't think POR15 is a good choice for this... They claim it's ok to go over rusted surfaces or seasoned metal, but in my case it didn't work that well to stop or even slow the rust on my chebby even though I prepped it with their metal ready. I don't know if any of the rust converters work better, but I wasn't impressed with POR15.

I think you'd be better off getting all the loose stuff off and then applying a rust converter like MarHydes One Step. It seems to do a pretty good job of sealing up rust, and if it fails it's translucent enough to see it failing. POR15 has a thick finish and does a good job hiding issues beneath. I won't use it again. It's also messy to work with... If you get any on your skin you'll be wearing it for a week or more.

"stangg" said:
I don't think POR15 is a good choice for this... They claim it's ok to go over rusted surfaces or seasoned metal, but in my case it didn't work that well to stop or even slow the rust on my chebby even though I prepped it with their metal ready. I don't know if any of the rust converters work better, but I wasn't impressed with POR15.

I think you'd be better off getting all the loose stuff off and then applying a rust converter like MarHydes One Step. It seems to do a pretty good job of sealing up rust, and if it fails it's translucent enough to see it failing. POR15 has a thick finish and does a good job hiding issues beneath. I won't use it again. It's also messy to work with... If you get any on your skin you'll be wearing it for a week or more.

thanks for the advice. never used POR15 was just aware of it. I was out on Eastwood's site yesterday checking out the flexible wand gun that Cmayna mentioned, and I looked to see what they had for rust treatment. They have a few products, trying to figure out which one I should consider.

Back