• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which a/c unit to purchase?

gwstang

I'm geting ready to add a/c to my 66 with the 5.0 HO carbed and all the serpentine setup. I have the old 5.0 a/c compressor in the serp. setup so that when I am ready to add the a/c, it will have a place to put the compressor with no problem. So what's the best complete unit to purchase and also ease of install as part of the package? Thanks, gary.

i would start with classic auto air & vintage air & see what they offer for your application. i have installed units from both these companies & wam very impressed with the products.

Does the CAA come with the lines already crimped? I was readying about one company where the lines are cut to fit and then you have to take them somewhere to have the end fitting crimped on? Thanks for the help guys.

i'm not sure about the hoses for the mustang, but the CAA hoses that came with the a/c kit i used on the 37 came with one end crimped on the hose & i had to cut to length & crimp the other end on. i have both sets of crimpers for R-12 & 134-A so if they want too much to crimp them locally, send them to me & i'll do it free of charge for you (that goes for anyone here on the board). just mock everything up, cut the hose to desired length & mark the position of the end (if its not a straight fitting) so i can crimp in the correct spot so the hose wont twist.

Does the CAA come with the lines already crimped?

If you order the kit specifically designed for your application, yes. If you order a "generic" kit they likely won't be.

I had a kit from Old Air Products that was specifically designed for 67-68 Mustangs and the firewall ends of the hoses were "cut to fit".

Thanks Dave, I probably will need the cut to fit lines because of the 5.0HO location of the compressor. BTW, don't you have a 5.0 with serpentine setup? I am wondering if they provide the correct compressor to match the serpentine setup? Thanks, gary.

"gwstang" said:
Thanks Dave, I probably will need the cut to fit lines because of the 5.0HO location of the compressor. BTW, don't you have a 5.0 with serpentine setup? I am wondering if they provide the correct compressor to match the serpentine setup? Thanks, gary.

Tell them what you've got and they'll match the kit for you.

Back