• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which Master Cylinder

pprince

5F09C332634
Hi guys,

I bought Versailles rear discs from Darreld. Great brakes and transaction, btw. Thank you Darreld.

I have stock 4 piston front disc brakes. What master cylinder should I replace my single pot with. Do I really even need to change it?

Good reference here: http://1985mustanggt.com/Reference/2009-09-19_Mustang_MC_Info.pdf

Basically, it depends on how hard/soft of a pedal you prefer, which is also somewhat influenced by the choice of manual/power brakes too...
In your case/ with 4 piston fronts and the large bore Versailles calipers, I wouldn't go below 1" bore.

Listed from softest pedal/longest travel to hardest pedal/shortest travel:
MC39647 - 1" bore - 1985 Lincoln Towncar (iron or aluminum!)
MC390185 - 1-1/16" bore - 1994 Mustang GT (metric/plastic reservoir)
MC39447 - 1-1/8" bore - Lincoln Mk7 / SVO (iron or aluminum!)
MC36352 - 1-1/4" Bore - 1972 F250 (It's HUGE!)

Thanks Bob.

It seems to me my best choice would be the 86 SVO unit, MC39447.

I want the iron unit so it at least sort of looks vintage.

Here's what the aluminum version of the SVO M/C looks like installed. Cast iron looks the same, only rust colored! :nut

050705024.jpg

050705023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Mustang back on the road last weekend with the Versailles disc brakes installed.

They went in without a hitch which is really unusual for me. I can screw up pretty much anything I touch :)

I am still using my old single pot master cylinder and it works just fine.

Thanks Darreld.

I didn't even attempt to hook up the parking brake. It's not a priority for me. Many other things to do first :)

Back