• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

While we're talkin elctrical.......

Working on the wire harness for the gauge cluster. I have a chitload of ground wires. Each of the lights for the autometer bulbs have two wires and then each of the gauges, with the exception of the speedo requires a ground. So, I have 11 ground wires. How would you wire them?

I would patch them together and have one single ground point.

Solder the joints so you don't have ground probs.

What size fuse or fuses are you running for the cluster buster? Back when I did Red's autometer setup with 6 gauges, Randy suggested a 7-10 amp fuse.

Randy is the electrical god. This would be a place for him.

Craig,

You did an autometer 6 gauge cluster for Red? And Red is 65-66 car?

I'm getting ready to do a 6 gauge cluster for my '66.... the last piece to the puzzle should arrive today.

Dave

"daveSanborn" said:
Craig,

You did an autometer 6 gauge cluster for Red? And Red is 65-66 car?

I'm getting ready to do a 6 gauge cluster for my '66.... the last piece to the puzzle should arrive today.

Dave

You wanna document your build and we can post it in the tech article board?

I wish I had documented the switch over but apparently very little if any. I probably would not have done it, except they were free.

Here's a pic of Red's dash:

JMECluster2.jpg

I might though be able to do a how to on installing a intermitten wiper setup in a 65/66

Sorry, I meant to clean up that quote, I was askin if Dave wanted to document his build. Reds looks sweet, didnt you get that one from that "Parts" car you bought?

Craig,

Which gauge cluster is that? Did you build the cluster or was it already assembled? That looks really nice and I'm itching to building mine.

the last piece to the puzzle should arrive today.

Hopefully the damn dog doesn't eat it. I had to thumbtack a note to the front porch railing directing the UPS driver to leave the box inside my Jeep parked in the driveway. If it's a chewable object left laying around, my 10 month old Shepard will find it, and will chew it into little pieces!

Yes, I do plan on documenting and posting the cluster build here.

Cool, thanks Dave.

When I started on mine, I ordered the cluster braket from Mustang Depot, backordered 4 weeks, got my gauges the same week I ordered them. Had my GF pick up the aluminum gauge cluster from Dallas Mustang and when I look at its scratched. returned it the next day and they had to order another one. Week later I call and its still not there, same evening I order one from Mustangs unlimited and three days later I have my cluster. Still haven't heard from Dallas Mustang about my replacement. Need to run over there this weekend and spend my $150 credit.....

Dave,
The bezel is JME. Gauges are Autometer with electric speedo. Yes Rick, they were still in original boxes in the back seat of Yellow Tail. I also kept aside front and rear discs for 65/66 which were also new in box but sold them to a local. Bought the car with all this crap for $500. Put $300 into the car and sold it for $3900.
I'll never beat that deal.

Grounding should all be done at a single point to avoid ground loops, which cause all sorts of problems, including airplane wings to shear off when they touch the earth.

This is the biggest problem with the aftermarket wiring kits, in that they do not believe in a chassis ground, so everything has to have its own ground line. Other than this, tie all the grounds together if you can, and then use a big honkin' ring connector with a large bolt and screw it into a solid piece of metal on the chassis.

Back